leopard ctenopoma(leaf fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
today at my LFS i found spotted leaffish. always thought they were AWESOME. would one work in my 55? 4 jewels,9 black skirt tetras,1 swordtail,1 otto(psycotic),1 raphael catfish,1 peacock eel,and 1 rainbow shark. theres a lot of java moss,and im willing to breed guppiesin my 10 to feed it. along with frequent jewel fry snacks:)

alLexX said:
today at my LFS i found spotted leaffish. always thought they were AWESOME. would one work in my 55? 4 jewels,9 black skirt tetras,1 swordtail,1 otto(psycotic),1 raphael catfish,1 peacock eel,and 1 rainbow shark. theres a lot of java moss,and im willing to breed guppiesin my 10 to feed it. along with frequent jewel fry snacks:)

I've never owned one of these but I did do some reading when I saw these in my LFS, i can't say for certain it'll be ok with your current stock, however if I remember correctly it shouldn't be kept with cichlids as it will be out competed for food. Other than that anything that's bigger than its mouth is fine, anything smaller will be lunch. Sorry I can't be of more help

I've never owned one of these but I did do some reading when I saw these in my LFS, i can't say for certain it'll be ok with your current stock, however if I remember correctly it shouldn't be kept with cichlids as it will be out competed for food. Other than that anything that's bigger than its mouth is fine, anything smaller will be lunch. Sorry I can't be of more help
i dont think my cichlids will outcompete anything for food,2 are always breeding(2 dif females) and the others never eat very quickly. it took them like 2 min to figure out a junebug was food(after the blackskirts tested it). mainly im wondering about size,some sights say 4 inches,some say 8

alLexX said:
i dont think my cichlids will outcompete anything for food,2 are always breeding(2 dif females) and the others never eat very quickly. it took them like 2 min to figure out a junebug was food(after the blackskirts tested it). mainly im wondering about size,some sights say 4 inches,some say 8

Ah ok. Should be ok on that front then :D They can reach 8 inches in the wild but from what I read they only reach 6 in captivity. However that's probably due to stunting I would guess

hmmm,i looked on liveaquaria,because i was bored,and it said 6 inches.so a third of that would be 2,my blackskirts are well on there way to being 2.5 and my swordtail is growing,albeit slowly. but from reading,swordtails can easily pass 2 inches.i figure the most likely to get eaten is my otto,because even thoughhes more than 2 inches(not by much) hes thin. i also realized that my LFS sells them for less than half of liveaquarias price(abotu 10 bucks). im thinking im gonna get one,not too worried that anybody'll get eaten

I had a leopard ctenopoma that actually died less than two weeks ago :( He ate the hatchet fish I had bought to replace the ones that died. The leopard ctenopoma might go after the otocinclus. Their mouths are WAY larger than you would think...maybe observe them until you can see them yawn or open their mouth then you can decide if it will be able to eat your fish!

The one I had was about five inches from nose to tail. RIP, Spike :(

I had a leopard ctenopoma that actually died less than two weeks ago :( He ate the hatchet fish I had bought to replace the ones that died. The leopard ctenopoma might go after the otocinclus. Their mouths are WAY larger than you would think...maybe observe them until you can see them yawn or open their mouth then you can decide if it will be able to eat your fish!

The one I had was about five inches from nose to tail. RIP, Spike :(
im okay with my otto getting eaten. he bullies my shark(whos twice his size...)

Back
Top Bottom