Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Leopard (Green Spotted) or Congo Puffers *with* Dwarf Pea Puffers (same aquarium)?

Hi, as the title says I'm wonder about the possible options concerning the co-habitation of either Leopard (Green Spotted) or Congo Spotted Puffers *with* Dwarf Pea Puffers in same aquarium?

Of course with water parameters, tank size, etc. all being ideal and cared for closely... Has anyone ever tried this successfully?

For those who haven't but are familiar with the interspecies mingling, what would your opinion on shared environment between either of these slightly larger Puffers with Dwarf Pea Puffers on a scale of 1-10...

NOTE: "1" being DON'T DO IT, it'll be a scene of horror and murderous carnage the likes of which will be written about in the history books, and "10" being the aquarium will turn into Heaven on Earth, the Puffers will unite in harmony and create poetry and compose music together in a new mammalian Renaissance.

Thanks! 🐡🐡🐡

Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green spotted are brackish. Congo may eat a pea puffer. I've kept amazon puffers and pea puffers together successfully for years.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Hey thanks for commenting, I'd ensure water parameters were right for both species, the breeder I'd be getting the green spotted from has gone through dozens of lines of fresh water generations, and I've also read books from aquarists that discuss slow introduction of saline type conditions for eventual equilibrium, appeasing both species (in this case dwarf pea puffers and green spotted or leopard).

Like I mentioned above I'd go through constant monitoring to ensure the health of the stock, I was asking about the tendencies of aggression between green spotted leopard and dwarf pea puffers?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, my biggest green spotted puffer is the size of a golfball and my biggest pea puffer is the size of a... pea.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green spot need the salt. They thrive in the salt. They swim for miles to find the salt. You dont want to give them the salt??
Old 07-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Green spot need the salt. They thrive in the salt. They swim for miles to find the salt. You dont want to give them the salt??
Hey Brook, I'm not sure if you'pre not reading my entire posts? I don't think you're being purposefully contrary, but my question was never answered.

What are the hostile tendencies, if any, between the cohabitation of the species Malabar puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) and leopard puffers (Dichotomyctere nigroviridis)?

I'm going to give up on trying to pair these 2 species in the same tank, and will go with a figure-8 puffer, instead of the leopard, in a species-only tank.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurAquarist View Post
Hey Brook, I'm not sure if you'pre not reading my entire posts? I don't think you're being purposefully contrary, but my question was never answered.

What are the hostile tendencies, if any, between the cohabitation of the species Malabar puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) and leopard puffers (Dichotomyctere nigroviridis)?

I'm going to give up on trying to pair these 2 species in the same tank, and will go with a figure-8 puffer, instead of the leopard, in a species-only tank.
I read it, hostile tendencies? Puffer fish may appear all cute and bashful but I can assure you they are formidable hunting machines. Have you ever seen a tiny little dog that thinks it's a german sheppard? Have you ever seen that tiny little dog act all tough towards an actual German Sheppard? I dont know for a fact because I would never put a pea puffer in a brackish tank with my gsp but I'd be willing to bet the pea puffer would get eaten before the salt did em in.
I digress.. you are right on in keeping any puffer in a species only tank.

Tags
aquarium, dwarf, green, leopard, puffer, puffers, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com