Let there be Light!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
There's been lots of post about lighting recently and I just wanted to know if Im ok with the light that comes stock with the 30" hood from All-Glass..

I dont have any real plants at the moment. When i did (water sprite) , most of it started turning brown and it looked pretty shot. so i chucked it.

1. how long should I leave light on , currently we leave it on for about 10hrs.

2. any plants that are easy to maintain?

3. any benefits (to fish) in changing the light ? if so, recommendations?

woah there are more questions than I had planned.. sorry, TIA!!

Java Fern!!! My mostest fav plant.........low light lover and really super easy to propegate.........

Water wisteria is VERY EASY to take care of too. Just throw it in and watch it grow. Almost like Chia Pet.

The java fern is easier to grow than plastic plants. It grows almost anywhere and your aquarium gravel will stick to its short roots. Replanting is only picking it up and dropping it.

As far as the fish are concerned light only makes them more visible to you. I see no reason to upgrade.

Anubias plants (e.g. Anubias barteri) are very easy to maintain. They're slow-growing, low-light plants. I happen to think they're some of the most simply beautiful plants in the aquarium hobby, also...

Hygros (Hygrophila polysperma), and Java Moss are two of the other obvious choices.

HTH

I can attest to Java fern being easy to grow in low light. I have a 39 gal tank with only 17W of light. It was actually the lighting from my 15 gal tank. So far after three weeks my java ferns have grown new rhizomes and are still a healthy green. I even have a small adventitious growing on a leaf.

I also have some Hornwort which I use as a floating plant. I think they require a little more light than the java fern. So far they are hanging in there.

thanks for all the help guys/gals! :D :D I'll let you know what I get

Back
Top Bottom