Let's clear up confusion about fish feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feed twice a day, once when I get home from work (~3pm) and again around 9pm. The 3pm feeding is the large one with the 9pm feeding being about 1/3. I like to plan my fish digestion around my lights due to my plants. I want the bulk of the ammonia and waste production during lighted periods where the plants can absorb the most. I'm in a completely overstocked tank due to the breeding guppy and platy and so need all the plant filtration I can get.

I normally do a large feeding a couple hours before a big water change (I do 50% twice a week) to keep the nitrAtes to acceptable levels (<40ppm). I would probably feed much less if I had a stable tank but there are always many juvenile/fry in the tank that I want to make sure get fed on their much faster metabolic systems.

I feed staple flake, bloodworms, tubifex worms, and a homemade fish food which I've recently been too lazy to walk to the freezer to get! Algae wafers after lights out for the BN pleco 3 times a week to make sure he's getting adequate nutrition, and occasional blanched cucumber if I suspect my oto's are hungry.

Bottom line is if you keep the water quality to an acceptable level there really isn't any "right" answer. Most people that run into problems over-feed and do infrequent small partial water changes.

Back
Top Bottom