Letting Algae Grow in Your Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azabujuban

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon community tank with live plants and have had it set up for about a year. I've been letting some algae go on the back wall of the tank to create a natural looking background for a few months but I am not sure if I should let it keep growing or if I should remove it.

Has anyone allowed algae to grow on some of their tank to provide a more natural appearance on their back wall? Is this a very bad idea?

Thanks.

Theres nothing wronv with algae, its just unsightly. If you want to grow it theres no reason not to :)

I let the back of mine get covered but now i canr get it off unless i tear the tank apart

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tryed the razor blade didnt work to well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My older fish keeping friend believed it was good for water quality. After some research I learned algae consumes ammonia, and to a lesser degree nitrite and nitrate.

There's nothing wrong with algae, but some people don't like the look of it. The liners in outdoor fish ponds stay covered in a layer of green algae/slime all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If some one could confirm...

I've heard algae can also increase oxygen levels in the tank.

I have GSA in my planted tank and have to scrub it every few days. It's very unsightly but I imagine my fish don't care.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom