leveling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So have my tank (20gal)
Have my stand....

have a carpetted floor :?

how long do I need to leave the tank full of water before I know whether or not it's going to level out . Right now there is a definate lean, but there's quite a bit of spring to the carpet. there's also about 2-3 inches from the back of the stand and the wall and the back's lower.

Suggestions?

well it's not flat to the floor. but it's not really legged either. It's wood around the base except the very back and a center horizontal support running long ways...it's entirely possible that, open back is part of the problem but there really isn't an obvious way to fix it.

Take a level and see if the floor itself is level (sometimes it isn't). The carpet may be causing some also. You can also check the level of the stand itself. Place flat and check all sides.

well floor under the carpet....no idea....there's sloping towards the wall where it hits tacky strip at the wall....so just don't know. I know the stand isn't sitting on the strip though. The floor in the kitchen (next room over) is flat, so there's a good chance the floor under the carpet is too.

I have always used wood shims under the stand to level my tank right after filling it, and never noticed a change over time. Of course, I never used a level on it again, but would have noticed if the water line wasnt parallel to the tank lines. Assuming the stand is not warped and that the surface the tank rests on is flat, just use shims between the stand and the carpet to make it level. If you are worried about the carpet compressing, don't break the excess shim off for a few weeks, so you can pound it under the stand some more if you have to.

Note: edited for clarity - do not put the shim between the tank and the stand ( I read my first post and was afraid it sounded that way)

With a full tank, about 200 pounds, the carpet should be compressed within a week. You can get wood shims at your home improvement store. If the base of the stand is 4 inch wood, you should use the shims side by side to support the full width. Measure from the floor to the top of the tank. Drain most of the water out of the tank. Add enough shims to bring the lower corners even with the highest one, front to back and end to end. Make sure the stand is in the same footprint in the carpet. Refill and check with a level. Good luck. :D

Please, please get this tank level. If it is not, the pressure of the water is all on one pane of glass, and the seals are not designed to hold that for long. Not too long ago I helped my neighbor pick up the fish, fry, glass, etc. from a tank that just busted on its own from not being level.

When the tank is almost full of water it is its own "level" because you can clearly see how much space is between the water and the rim on each side. I would not accept more than about 1/4" discrepancy all the way around. I use wood shims, too, and they work great.

Back
Top Bottom