Levels in My Tank A Day Before and After a PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay let's get something straight here: I am a hypocrite. I reccomend using API Freshwater Master Test Kits to everyone, yet I have never used one myself. This is how its been going on for about three months now ever since I had heard of API Freshwater Master Test Kits. I am fed up with not supporting my beliefs, so I am proud to say that today, one day after a PWC, I have used the kit! :)

This is where I'll be posting my levels every time I am done completing a water change. Because I have never tested my tank before and don't know if things will ever flucuate, I am keeping a record of all my levels here just to be safe, in case you notice any bad changes over the weeks. A day before my scheduled maintenace I will post numbers, and a day after that PWC I will post numbers again. Here are the readings! What do you guys think?

Ammonia: either 0 or .25 ppm, I cannot tell the color looks similar...
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
pH: 6.8

Well...is that an okay level for ammonia? I just did a PWC, did I leave something out?

I assume you are cycling? Can you give some background on the tank? How long has it been set up and what is stocked in it?

Nope, not cycling, this is actually my main tank and I am very mad at myself for not buying this test kit sooner and testing it. I am going to start testing my cycling tank as soon as I get it cycled, they're opening up an Ace Hardware right by where I live so I gotta get some ammonia there!

Stock:
-eight emerald cories
-one betta
-one honey DG
-two rams
-four cardinals (I am getting them a bigger school)
-six cherry barbs
It's not badly overstocked or fully stocked, right?

Tank has been setup for about a year. I did not know about cycling back up until eight months ago so my tank has never been cycled properly, I think it started cycling nine months ago when my fish began dying. It is thirty gallons.

Double check how you're doing your nitrAte test. It's commonly done wrong. Make sure you are shaking the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds, and shake the entire tube for a solid minute.

I'm sure there's nitrAtes in there unless the tank is heavily planted.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, you were right, I misread the instructions. There are 10 ppm nitrAtes. Is that good or bad and should I do another PWC?

That's perfect :). At or below 20 is ideal.

One other note, the API test for ammo is notoriously hard to tell the difference between 0 and .25. If it looks yello...it's zero. If it has a slight greenish tinge...ignore it.

Its not too big a problem, if at all. Most tanks, i believe, especially mine, after a PWC have 10 ppm for nitrates. Oh, and another thing, how are you keeping the honey dg and the betta together without them attacking each other?

Hey as far as the ammonia reading goes, yea it's really hard to tell sometimes. However, that said, it could be some ammonia from the new water that you put in. Do you have city or well water?

Either way I wouldn't be too concerned about that, as long as you're using a quality conditioner.

That's perfect :). At or below 20 is ideal.

One other note, the API test for ammo is notoriously hard to tell the difference between 0 and .25. If it looks yello...it's zero. If it has a slight greenish tinge...ignore it.

Thanks! Yeah it was hard to tell, if I looked at it up close it was yellow but if I put it next to the color-code index it looked greenish-yellow.

Its not too big a problem, if at all. Most tanks, i believe, especially mine, after a PWC have 10 ppm for nitrates. Oh, and another thing, how are you keeping the honey dg and the betta together without them attacking each other?

Good to know! I am probably just lucky, I saved the female betta today from a small cup in the LFS and has been doing great. She and my female dwarf gourami tend to ignore each other, when they do see each other all they do is follow one another before they lose interest in somethingelse.

Hey as far as the ammonia reading goes, yea it's really hard to tell sometimes. However, that said, it could be some ammonia from the new water that you put in. Do you have city or well water?

I'm on city water. Does that usually have ammonia?
Either way I wouldn't be too concerned about that, as long as you're using a quality conditioner.

Yea they often put chloramines in city water (which is another form of ammonia), but if you're treating with a quality conditioner it'll convert the ammonia to a less toxic form and the bacteria in your tank will take care of it for you.

Back
Top Bottom