LFS and Chain Store Horrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been shopping fish supplies a lot lately to get a new tank up and running. Today I was at a Petsmart with my dad. Then I looked down the aisle and saw on the floor in front of the tanks a fish flopping on the floor. I was horrified and wanted to just pick the poor thing up and toss him in a tank but I didn't know where he had come from.

Of course there were no employees to be found. So I went up to a cashier and told her a fish had 'escaped,' and was flopping on the floor. She seemed scared and got someone rather quickly. We went back to where the poor fish was and my dad was walking back at the same moment. He said, "Oh look, there's another one now!"

Sure enough, there were two fish flopping on the floor at that point. The man got a net and picked them both up carefully. He seemed genuinely concerned as he said, "Oh, I don't know if that one's going to make it." I'm just glad I saw the poor fish when I did. I don't know how long it had been there on the floor. :(

I also heard recently that at a lfs, a fish got dropped, and they kicked it off away! :eek: They won't be getting my business. :nono:

Sad to say, but allot of people see fish as a "lesser being". They forget or don't want to believe that fish feel pain like any other living creature on earth. Most people invest allot money and time into building the "perfect aquarium" to their liking but never consider what the fish actually need. Just like these clowns at the lfs. They dose there fish in quick cure chemicals and expect the fish to not jump out. Depressing isn't it.

Makes me glad to know my lfs has quarantine tanks in the back of the shop and that everything is monitored. I guess working there for awhile makes me comfortable buying from them even though they are a chain store

Cornstar said:
I saw a lfs freezing gold fishes. I'm not sure if that's normal.

Someone on this forum once said freezing fish is "humane euthanasia", you be the judge on that. Mabye that was why they were doing it?

Walmart here keeps tiny sickly green spotted puffers with African cichlids. No wonder every fish in that little 3 gallon cubicle is beat to pieces...

Alyxx said:
Walmart here keeps tiny sickly green spotted puffers with African cichlids. No wonder every fish in that little 3 gallon cubicle is beat to pieces...

That must look bad , I have not seen fish in a walmart in years but I remember how bad it used to look

Alyxx said:

Dido here in NV.

My last store horror was at my local petland that I almost always buy my fish from. The tank of kissing gouramies was infected with ich and fin rot. Some of them did t even have tail left it was horrendous. The manager said they got them that way from their supplier. I was surprised though it was the first time that I saw sick fish there in Over 6 months. There tanks are always clean and there fish are almost always healthy.

Sad to say, but allot of people see fish as a "lesser being". They forget or don't want to believe that fish feel pain like any other living creature on earth. Most people invest allot money and time into building the "perfect aquarium" to their liking but never consider what the fish actually need. Just like these clowns at the lfs. They dose there fish in quick cure chemicals and expect the fish to not jump out. Depressing isn't it.

Fish are lesser beings, but I do sorta agree with the tail end of your statement.

Alyxx said:

I saw in Walmart yesterday about 10 cichlids on one of their small tanks. 2 of them were all but dead and the others were attacking those 2. My 9 yr old daughter was horrified and insisted we go tell someone immediately. Was so proud of her!

Good thing is that it seems like walmart is narrowing down their fish sections and completely removing them from some stores. I think that enough complaints to the store manager might do some good.

Yep, the super walmart by me doesn't carry fish anymore. I'm glad too, I still see fish horrors at a lot of shops I go to for supplies, but walmart takes the cake.

Back
Top Bottom