LFS package deal vs. buying Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manooosie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting a stand and canopy custom made in a couple of days and will buy the tank tomorrow. My LFS has a 55g with standard light fixtures for 50 bucks(good deal). However, you can buy the deluxe package for Deluxe Package for 268 which comes with the following including the tank:

Fluorescent light fixture
Power Filter Aquaclear 50
Under gravel filter
Air pumps
Heater- 15 inch two hundred watt
Gravel- 60 pounds
Thermometer
Disease preventatives
Tubing
Gang valve

This doesn’t seem like a good deal to me for the following reasons:

1)Does anyone use under gravel filters anymore? Sounds like they are out of style, and considering I plan on using play sand (which rules out the gravel), I don't think you can use under gravel filters with sand any ways.

2)That leaves the fluorescent light fixture (do I need a separate fixture for this, or just different bulbs?), and the filter (it seems way to small for a 55g, even the box says up to 50). Because I will have a canopy, does that mean I cannot have a HOB, or are most canopy's open in the back? Which is quieter, canisters or HOB, and do you recommend any particular brand?

3)I would really like to have a moonlight in my tank. What kind of hookups do these need, and should the canopy be altered to accommodate it?

It seems clear to me to stay away from this deal. I plan on starting to cycle my tank at the end of this week by sticking a goldfish in there(will that do it?). Another question I have is about the canopy. I have seen feeding doors on some and on others the front lid opens. I assume both work equally well, but I could use some advice here. I know this is a loaded thread, but I want to do this right! I have been reading this site for a month and I am finally ready to pull the trigger!

It sounds like the delux package comes with stuff you don't want so I agree don't get it.

I wouldn't cycle with a goldfish. There is alot of info available on this board about fishless cycling. I haven't personally done that. If you plan on cycling with fish then figure out which of the fish you plan on stocking is hardiest and use that for cycling.

I agree, fishless is the way to go.

Regarding the package: UGF's are generally used anymore so that would be out. A single 250 Watt heater or two 100 Watt heaters would be sufficient. Canisters are quieter than hob's. I would suggest the canister over the hob for quality reasons and because of the tank size. I am a big fan of them, so I'm kind of biased. :D Brands depend on the person. Everyone has their favorites and generally sticks to it. You will get suggestions of Fluval's, Rena's, Eheim's, and my personal favorite the Cascade. But it's entirely up to you. I prefer the Cascade because of the look and simplicity of it.

In general canopies have open backs. This allows for the hobs. The front usually has a piece that pulls up where you can feed your fish. You'll still want the standard hood and light strip though. What kind of moonlights are you looking for? I have a small LED light that I use for moonlight and it just gets set where you want it. You can drill it into place, but you don't need to.

If your getting a canopy you dont need a standard hood.. glass tops are cheap and will do the job fine.. Lighting can be installed in the top of your canopy.

When I said standard hood I meant just a hood. Glass or plastic, doesn't matter. Either can be used.

The hood that comes with the tank is just a standard glass hood. The canopy will just cover that. Should I ask for anything special in the canopy for lighting? I imagine the flouresent lighting can be attached to the light fixtures on the glass hood that comes with my tank. Where would a moonlight go?

alot of people are buying them that are already installed in a light fixture.. some DIY the project.. (if you read the DIY treads there is everything you need to know already there.. if cant be figured out from that it is most likely over the DIYers head, JProx has answered all questions imaginable about the subject at least 3 times :biglol:)

2 lighting fixtures in the hood, separate switches. Once (w/ more lights?) for "daylight" and a smaller strip to run a blacklight/moonlight. May also consider some computer fans at each end to ventilate air out (ballasts can get hot)

Back
Top Bottom