LFS Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Visited the LFS at the wrong time last night. 40% off all plants and fish. Walked out with 10 plants(all jungle vals) and 13 new fish. Four of the fish were ottos. The others I have to go back and grab the names of because the son was racing around the store. I went to Aquarium Adventure which almost everyone considers to be the best LFS in town. I had a couple concerns though I'm usually happy with the salespeople.

1. I bought a blue ram from them a few weeks ago. When I went back last night the salesperson told me and kept insisting that I needed to keep them in groups of 6-7 at least. They are $10 fish (actually raised the price since I bought them) I didn't want to buy 6-7 blue rams but the guy kept insisting. I got home did some research and every site I looked at, about three, said that blue rams do fine by themselves and best in pairs. Anyone have blue rams and can confirm? Not that I'm going out and buy 6-7 more, but seems like the guy was going a heavy sell last night and the place usually isn't like that. Another no no with the salesguy was the jungle vals. He insisted they were natvie to south america. I didn't think so, but at the price couldn't pass them up. They are from Asia.

2. I'm a little concerned about adding that much of a bioload to the 55g. My hospital tank was not set up due to remodeling and I had to add the fish to the tank without quarantine.

Oh yeah the canister filter that I bought three weeks ago was $70 less. AUGH!

A Ram will do OK alone, but they are much more fun to watch and seem happier when you have a pair. I had two Rams and one died, now the remaining Ram has never been the same. Like all fish, this can vary from fish to fish... Having 6 or 7 Rams can be pretty difficult because they will pair up and you can end up with too many of one sex to make all pairs. Blue Rams are very sensitive, so keep and eye on the water parameters.

If you have Otos and Siamese Algae eaters in the tank, make sure you always have a good supply of algae in the tank or from wafers. Otos can be very picky eaters and the SAEs can outcompete them for food.

That is a bit of a bio load jump for your tank. I would reccomend keeping the feedings to a minimum for a few days to let the bio filter catch up.

What other fish did you get? :)

Well Done on your 40% off, it is nice when you can get a bargain from time to time. Sorry to here about your hard sell salesman, he was wrong to tell you that and it makes me mad because salesman like him gives us other LFS owners a bad name. A good sales person would have ask you about your set-up and help you stock your tank without causing strain on your system.

A good sales person would have ask you about your set-up and help you stock your tank without causing strain on your system.

...and a great salesperson would also sell you a QT tank setup as well so you could bring the new fish home without risking the health of the other fish :D

a great salesperson would also sell you a QT tank setup

Have one, but sue to remodelling its not set up at current time.

If you have Otos and Siamese Algae eaters in the tank, make sure you always have a good supply of algae in the tank or from wafers. Otos can be very picky eaters and the SAEs can outcompete them for food.

I do have a good supply, but some of it is the green spot algae, which from what I have read, has to be scraped cause nothing eats it. There's other algae as well for them. The Siamese eats flake food as well.

I'm not too worried about the bio load, Its a very established tank.

As far as the other fishies, look for the change in the signature.

AH hmm... I thought the profile updated. I got basically a lot of tetras: high fin white, Gold Pristella, and Black Phantoms.

Back
Top Bottom