LFS, What would you change about yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeFreshnSalt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at my one of my LFS earlier and was very disappointed on the health and variety of live plants. By the looks of some of them I would be probably compromising my aquarium. I believe in supporting LFS even if I could find a product cheaper online. But when I go and see something like that it is very disheartening and makes me really look twice at purchasing anything from them. I would like better care and variety when it comes to live plants.

What would you like to see changed with your LFS?

Haha sounds like you live in east side Seattle too.

I love the staff at my local lfs but sometimes im totally blown away at their lack of maintenance regimen.
Just letting snails and algae grow every where and what looks like white mold on some of the bulb plants and sponge filters, dead fish and shrimp just chillin for a couple days.
It totally floors me cuz the fish area is smaller than it once was in their old shop and they have more staff.
If i could work there i would just to get a better idea of why and how this has come to be and try to make some changes.
Them prices too ....wheew, fortunately if i find something cheaper online they will usually match it or get close

I can't speak for this store in specific but I can tell you from my career in the pet business, all plants are not always available year round and so there are going to be times where selection may be poor. As for the setup the plants are in, sometimes a section can get away from you in a store so to keep maintenance times low, they will employ the snails to do the work and that too can backfire into a snail explosion.

So I would suggest you not judge a store on just 1 section of it or just 1 visit. If it this way on repeated visits over a years time, then you can surely complain. ;) :lol:

Ha. I would have someone with better handwriting label the fish.

English is the second language of the owner of my LFS, so, yeah, I sometimes have to spend some time figuring what he meant to write. :blink:

Still, it's a great shop with a nice variety of plants and fish, all healthy. If I could change anything, I would have him carry non-ADA tanks and substrate (he's a big fan of Amano) also, and a greater variety of foods. (He stocks mainly Hikari and Tetra.)

I personally find that each store is great at one or two things but lacking in another area.

As such, I have one store for fish, one for plants, and another for advice lol....but then, I'm lucky enough to live in a big city...

That Aquarium Co-Op channel on YouTube is based out of a shop just north of Seattle.
Still gotta go check it out though

I'd change its location to closer to my house (end of street should do it).

Me too!

I can only get out there if hubby drives me, which normally isn't a problem

But right now I have a busted filter and no way to replace it, so I am running an overstocked tank on half the filtration I need :$

One of my LFS has been around since the '70s, so their building and equipment are...dated. Like they never clean it. Salt buildup, dirty cabinets underneath displays, poor lighting, etc. The living conditions of some tanks are pristine while other tanks are VERY overstocked. They carry an enormous variety of FW and SW fish and aquatic life though and I've never had an unhealthy fish come from there, so I guess ultimately they know what they're doing.

The second LFS has a much newer, cleaner building and has a bigger variety of equipment, tools, and chemicals. Boring variety of fish and the employees don't seem to care or are inexperienced (but eager and friendly!) teenagers. So, each place has their perks and downfalls!

Their policy on livebearers where you have to buy a male/female pair (can't buy just one of one sex), unless they have a "three-for" special (then you can go 2 and 1, but not all three the same).

I've only been to mine once, Petco is easier to get to, but the people follow you around like hawks. they only have 2 or 3 bettas at a time and most are dead. also keep expired products on the shelves. the rest of the store is pretty nice, though. cool fish, huge back room with supplies and really good deals on tanks. (reef encounter in Hackensack, nj)

Back
Top Bottom