LFS with dead fish in multiple tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm relatively new to the hobby, but as far as I know...dead fish=ammonia=bad. A LFS near my house that specializes in saltwater does have a very small freshwater section, and he leaves the dead fish in every time it seems! The other fish will be eating them, or there are just straight up skeletons sitting on the bottom, or it's decomposing near the filter...

I've only been in twice to browse around and haven't asked him about it but it just seems so strange. Almost intentional, at least the entire skeleton of a dragon fish. Should I avoid buying from him? It sucks because I've seen some really beautiful sailfin mollies, lyretail swordtails, uniquely colored guppies, etc.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but as far as I know...dead fish=ammonia=bad. A LFS near my house that specializes in saltwater does have a very small freshwater section, and he leaves the dead fish in every time it seems! The other fish will be eating them, or there are just straight up skeletons sitting on the bottom, or it's decomposing near the filter...

I've only been in twice to browse around and haven't asked him about it but it just seems so strange. Almost intentional, at least the entire skeleton of a dragon fish. Should I avoid buying from him? It sucks because I've seen some really beautiful sailfin mollies, lyretail swordtails, uniquely colored guppies, etc.

I tend to tell the persons working that there is a floater in the tank, they correct it. But I am always curious as to why they died. Anyway, I still purchase fish from them, just not the same tanks (with the dead fish), I just quarantine them once I get home.

How odd, I've only had freshwater tanks but can't think of any reason to leave dead fish in a tank. I usually ask when the fish were shipped in, if it was ~ several days ago I tend to be a bit wary even if the LFS had a [FONT=&quot]quarantine period[/FONT]. I'll happily buy if it is just the odd concern in a tank here or there and just avoid those tanks.

I tend to tell the persons working that there is a floater in the tank, they correct it. But I am always curious as to why they died. Anyway, I still purchase fish from them, just not the same tanks (with the dead fish), I just quarantine them once I get home.

Usually LFS run a large portion of their tanks on one super filter, so if it was a disease there is a possibility it could spread.

Usually LFS run a large portion of their tanks on one super filter, so if it was a disease there is a possibility it could spread.

That is true. But I have more suspicion on the other inhabitants they put in with some of the fish. Plus most times I see adoption fish, by the loads=(

Wish people would keep their unwanted guppys, I find fancy tails in ponds here for free. Anyway, most of those guppies end up dying because of overstocked, stress, and maybe high ammonia levels.

And if anything, I have a connection that gives me free fish, and I have a separate QT tank so I can quarantine them as long as needed.

Personally I wouldn't buy from them. The odd dead fish happenes. These fish have been shipped here there and everywhere. But a responsible owner would remove the dead fish. I worked in an LFS for a year in highschool and learned a lot. One of the most important parts of my job was while I was not helping a customer to go look for dead fish and get them out of the tanks. These deaths were most common the day of and day after delivery.
Honestly I would have asked why there where dead fish in the tanks. Because well that's just gross!

I've seen lots of stores with dead fish in their tanks. I won't buy if their are a lot of dead fish. Another thing that bugs me is deformed fish being sold. I went to my local small town pet store to drop off some molly fry yesterday. She had just gotten her stock in. A lot of the fancy guppies were deformed. They had severely bowed backs. I felt so sorry for the. I cannot believe a dealer would sell a store fish that bad off. I asked her why she didn't cull them. She said she just couldn't bring herself to do it and would give them away or keep them. I just started breeding guppies and made a deal to sell or trade her the fry. I will cull any that might come out deformed. I got my breeding stock from her and now I am worried. Plan on buying some from Petland or Bert's pet center when I go to Ashland to diversify the stock.

Walmarts bad about this. They need to stop selling fish, I hate it.

Back
Top Bottom