Lichen on Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caribou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a really cool rock for my aquarium but it has has lichen moss on it. I've tried boiling water and a brush but it won't come off. The piece is too large to boil. Will the lichen, which I assume to be dead now, foul my tank (90 ga)? Is it toxic? :?:

I don't believe it is toxic, and I think you will find that after it has been in the tank for a bit it will start to break up and be easier to come off. I have had this happen and I just keep my eye on the sections with lichen and pick them off as they soften up.

When you bought it did it say its aquarium safe? If it didn't it may contain ores (metals) which can kill your fish, the lichen will not be a problem, especially in a tank that big... boiling it was definately a good idea though... hope this helps...

Good point - mine was specifically for aquariums and the lichen was obviously organic, so I knew it would decompose in the water, but you do need to be careful when collecting rocks to check for rust streaks or other indication of metals.

I'm pretty sure this rock is aquarium safe, it Utah lace rock. I've gotten some good input from AA members about this rock and it seems inert to vinegar tests. Its silica type mineral.

Back
Top Bottom