Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Jak
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post

Stains often become a part of the wood, they sink into the cells and become a permanent part of the structure. They are not like paint, which is surface coating, or varnish.

So removing stains might be a challenge. But experimentation is worth trying. Novel idea for sure.
My wife has a good point. If the stain becomes part of the wood and wont come out, then puting it in water probably won't pull the stain out. So it can't harm the fish if it stays on the wood. Unless of course they eat it but I'd like to think they wont put something in their mouth that's toxic. Then again I did say I used to chew on lincoln logs when I was a kid. But then again it didnt hurt me... I'm pretty sure anyway. Lol

Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let us know.. the oil based stains are non toxic once dry, but it would be hard to predict what would happen with long term immersion.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lol imma have to start workin on this this weekend and keep everyone updated
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I would be more concerned about type of wood. I'm assuming they are a soft wood and will rot quickly. I would not put them in a tank unless coated in Krylon or another known fish safe coating.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I would be more concerned about type of wood. I'm assuming they are a soft wood and will rot quickly. I would not put them in a tank unless coated in Krylon or another known fish safe coating.
They are pine I believe
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

What if I used krylon over top of the stain?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Personally, knowing its an oil-based stain I wouldn't risk it. If the oil leeches, you won't see it, but it will form a layer on top of the water that will prevent gas exchange and your fish will end up sufficating. Something like krylon might work, but you would have to be sure and get a good coating on absolutely every single surface.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Personally, knowing its an oil-based stain I wouldn't risk it. If the oil leeches, you won't see it, but it will form a layer on top of the water that will prevent gas exchange and your fish will end up sufficating. Something like krylon might work, but you would have to be sure and get a good coating on absolutely every single surface.
I could do that. This is just a test I wanna do a tank with Lincoln logs but imma test it in the tank with prolly zebra danios
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
Jak
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike921 View Post

I could do that. This is just a test I wanna do a tank with Lincoln logs but imma test it in the tank with prolly zebra danios
Thats what I would do. Zebra danios can live in basically anything.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post

Thats what I would do. Zebra danios can live in basically anything.
Yea exactly and they are cheap so if they live I'd think it'd be almost safe to have
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try boiling them and see if it comes out and at the same time put a few in a white cup of dechlorinated water and see if the water turns colors. If it is oil base it probably will leak a bit but as other said, its soft wood and pine is very soft. Definitely use krylon spray paint over it. It will seal the wood and then you need to add weight so it doesnt float.

If you have plecos then I wouldnt use it because they will eat the wood
Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Just remember, this site is all for the ethical keeping of fish. Typically we frown on using fish to test the waters. Whether they are danios, discus or snails.

Multiple layers of krylon is your best and safest bet on pulling this off. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've never worked with krylon before is it badically a clear that will water seal the wood? Like I wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or anythin? And no worries the tank will be running with the wood in it for a few weeks before fish are added to be on the safe side ill be checkin the water id rather not kill fish cuz I'm only gunna be able to see this tank one a week don't really want a dead fish sittin in there that long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com