Licoln logs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stains often become a part of the wood, they sink into the cells and become a permanent part of the structure. They are not like paint, which is surface coating, or varnish.

So removing stains might be a challenge. But experimentation is worth trying. Novel idea for sure.

My wife has a good point. If the stain becomes part of the wood and wont come out, then puting it in water probably won't pull the stain out. So it can't harm the fish if it stays on the wood. Unless of course they eat it but I'd like to think they wont put something in their mouth that's toxic. Then again I did say I used to chew on lincoln logs when I was a kid. But then again it didnt hurt me... I'm pretty sure anyway. Lol

Lol imma have to start workin on this this weekend and keep everyone updated

I would be more concerned about type of wood. I'm assuming they are a soft wood and will rot quickly. I would not put them in a tank unless coated in Krylon or another known fish safe coating.

I would be more concerned about type of wood. I'm assuming they are a soft wood and will rot quickly. I would not put them in a tank unless coated in Krylon or another known fish safe coating.

They are pine I believe

Personally, knowing its an oil-based stain I wouldn't risk it. If the oil leeches, you won't see it, but it will form a layer on top of the water that will prevent gas exchange and your fish will end up sufficating. Something like krylon might work, but you would have to be sure and get a good coating on absolutely every single surface.

Personally, knowing its an oil-based stain I wouldn't risk it. If the oil leeches, you won't see it, but it will form a layer on top of the water that will prevent gas exchange and your fish will end up sufficating. Something like krylon might work, but you would have to be sure and get a good coating on absolutely every single surface.

I could do that. This is just a test I wanna do a tank with Lincoln logs but imma test it in the tank with prolly zebra danios

I could do that. This is just a test I wanna do a tank with Lincoln logs but imma test it in the tank with prolly zebra danios

Thats what I would do. Zebra danios can live in basically anything.

Try boiling them and see if it comes out and at the same time put a few in a white cup of dechlorinated water and see if the water turns colors. If it is oil base it probably will leak a bit but as other said, its soft wood and pine is very soft. Definitely use krylon spray paint over it. It will seal the wood and then you need to add weight so it doesnt float.

If you have plecos then I wouldnt use it because they will eat the wood

Just remember, this site is all for the ethical keeping of fish. Typically we frown on using fish to test the waters. Whether they are danios, discus or snails.

Multiple layers of krylon is your best and safest bet on pulling this off. Good luck!

I've never worked with krylon before is it badically a clear that will water seal the wood? Like I wouldn't have to worry about it swelling or anythin? And no worries the tank will be running with the wood in it for a few weeks before fish are added to be on the safe side ill be checkin the water id rather not kill fish cuz I'm only gunna be able to see this tank one a week don't really want a dead fish sittin in there that long

Back
Top Bottom