Lid and lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zzzebra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for suggestions about lights and lid for a 29g tall aquarium. I have two goldfish who have outgrown the 10g. I notice that one of the goldies has lost most of his color, and wonder if that is because I've not had lights in the 10g for a couple years (they were cheap and shorted out). Or is he just a "whitefish"--? (they are about 3 yrs old)

Also, is there any way to plant rooted plants--these two fish seem to pull up everything. I've floated anachris and such in the tank but am hoping to plant something more permanent and nice looking in the 29g.

Thirdly, would additional fish be okay? Any suggestions on types? Perhaps something to keep the aquarium glass clear of algae? (or is this too optimistic--I tried snails but found the poop factor outweighed what they scraped off the glass--literally--and they also munched the plants constantly)

Any advice is welcome!! Thanks.

Moved to FW General Discussion.

There is a link between goldfish and lights and color changes. Goldfish also change color as they mature. Could be any number of reasons. If the color is paling, it could be stress for something, so a water test may help.

Also, goldfish are plant munchers IME. You may be able to root some soft of plant to driftwood (like java fern, which also thrives in lower light tanks).

About the other fish, you could look into some colder water species like hillstream loaches or white cloud minnows. Some goldfish though, may eat the minnows.

For the light, is the tank 30" long?

i dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but mine outgrew any tank real fast, be prepared for a 55 gallon tank minimum.

goldfish usually will just uproot anything, so plants that dont need to be planted are best like ancharius

one of my goldfish went from being brown and orange to completely white within a few years

do not get a pleco if thats what you wanted, they need tropical water and with all the plecos i put in with my goldies over the years, they cannot tolerate goldie waste and will die, and if they dont, plecos also get larger than goldfish, expect 5" growth in the first 7 months

30" tanks are oddballs in terms of light fixtures. You should be able to find an 18W light and hood for about $30-$40ish relatively easy though. Petsmart of other LFS

but what if like me, your tank ( standard 29 from walmart ) already has a 20 watt fixture? what is too much lighting? is it possible to even overlight a planted tank or non planted, besides for heat factors?

goldfish do change colors, alot of fish do actually, just usally takes a couple years

I wouldn't add a pleco, I had a pleco in a 29 with some goldfish when I first had a tank, the tank water was a solid green color in a matter of a coupl eweeks, plus goldfish require alot colder water than other fishs ucha s pleco's, you would be doing the poor pleco harm adding him withj the goldfish, before I forget I've heard alot of story's about goldfish and chiclids eating the eyes outta plecos

tropicfishman said:
but what if like me, your tank ( standard 29 from walmart ) already has a 20 watt fixture? what is too much lighting? is it possible to even overlight a planted tank or non planted, besides for heat factors?

Actually, when you have too much light, algae will come quickly if your parameters are out of whack. As for heat, usually it's not a problem. My Coralife 130W fixture on my 29G is on legs, about 3 inches above the tank. I currently have no hood on the tank either. Some fixtures you can just set on the glass tops with no problems as well. And some have even placed small wood blocks on each end of the light strip to give some room between the light and the glass.

As for planting, if you go the route of the standard lighting, then you may want to stick to anubias, crypts, and floating plants. But in a little higher light, you have more variety. With the 55W fixture, you shouldn't need CO2 either. I don't need it when I'm only running 65W, but when I kick the other 65W bulb on, I need it. The 55W or 65W models will give you a much better selection for plants as well.

And for the standard hood, you won't be able to use it with some of the fixtures, and may need to get a glass top instead. Your 20W gives you less than 1w/g. And in a deep tank, it's much less than that. Crypts are about the only plant, other than java moss and maybe java ferns, that will do well with that light. And maybe anubias. You could try doing a Crypt tank, and get a few different varieties.

Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, when you have too much light, algae will come quickly if your parameters are out of whack.

What kind of parameters do you mean? (I'm really new at this water chemistry thing...) I notice, as you say, there is more algae during summer when the room gets more indirect light from outside.

If the colour change occured over a long period of time, its nothing to worry about. Lighting, diet, and age can change colour over time. Some bloodworms mixed in with the diet can potentially get some colour in the fish.

Good luck with any plants. I personally would never bother with plants and goldfish for two reasons, they dig them up and they are better off with a barebottom tank or large stones they can't swallow.

No suckermouth fish of any kind. Once they discover that slime coat they can do some damage to the goldfish.

DepotFish said:
No suckermouth fish of any kind. Once they discover that slime coat they can do some damage to the goldfish.

I agree as well. I've even seen otos on the side of larger fish.

Back
Top Bottom