Life after QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had posted on another thread about my one glofish I put into a hospital tank.
She has had a huge belly for a while now, which I haven't been too concerned about, thinking it was just eggs.
Then one morning, she has what looks like bruises, and flaky scales on her back. I immediately filled up the empty 10 gallon and moved her over to quarantine, with just a little bit of salt. With the new symptoms, I was thinking maybe a parasite of some sort?
She's gotten much better. The bruises went away after the first day or so, and even the flaky scales look better. Belly is still as huge as ever.
What I am trying to figure out is, when is it safe to move her back to the main tank, and how to sterilize the QT, if it is even necessary.
Maybe this could have been injury, rather than sickness? She certainly doesn't look sick anymore, just lonely. I just can't tell if she's healing, or was never sick to begin with.
I'm in no rush, I plan to leave it alone for at least another few days to be sure, but I would like to use this as a fry tank in the coming weeks.
I'm thinking I may jump dump in a few drops of bleach to kill anything that might be in there (there is gravel and some fake plants), followed by water changes, a ton of Prime, and more water changes before moving the fry. I currently have a new filter pad seeding in the main tank, so I'm not worried about losing that.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a good plan. If her belly is still distended it could be a number of things: eggs, dropsy, constipation. While she's in QT you might try fasting her for a couple of days to see if that helps. Since her other symptoms have improved though it might not have been anything too serious. I agree with the bleach clean, then thorough soaking and rinses with Prime treated water. Maybe let it air dry too before using it again.

Back
Top Bottom