Light ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently I have a 18 inch Florecent 15w. bulb in my 24 inch hood. The hood says it is 120 volt, 60hz, 19w.

Now, I have no idea really of what any of that means. I want a better light though and I know I can upgrade. Is a 19 watt light attainable, can I go higher?

I'm strapped for cash and I am curious. I have plants that are already growing but there are a few that i know would grow better with a higher light. The hood is kinda crappy but what can I do?

I NEED MORE COWBELL! (Light)

Drew

Unfortunately, with florescent bulbs, you can't get a more powerful bulb without changing the type of fixture you have over the tank.

What size is the tank, and what kind of plants are you growing? A pic might be good.

15W unfortunately is not going to be able to grow much, depending on the size and depth of your tank.

Can you look on the bulb and see if you can find a K rating? The only thing you may be able to effect it to pick up a bulb that has the proper K rating (color temp) if it is not already. Plants need light with a color temp of 6500K-10000K to grow.

I know, but I am successfully growing a few plants. The plants that really need it our a crypt something or another, the crypt wendtil, and my vals. its a standard 29 gallon tank that I got in a kit a LONG time ago. the bulb was changed but that was before my plant dreams...

No K number on it. it is an FL15 Aquri Lux bulb. I'll do a little research on it.

Drew

a good idea is to retro fit the hood or buy a new hood with incandescent bulbs and put some cfl in there.

Anyone ever heard of perfecto? I saw a 24 inch hood that was relatively cheap that didn't come with the bulbs. It looked like it could take a wide range of two bulbs, and it was incandecsant.

Back
Top Bottom