Light help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 40g hex that's 24"high I want to grow crypto. Spirialis and java moss what lighting watts and kelvin do I need

Your Lighting Question

Good morning x...

You can grow most aquatic plants if you have 2 watts of light per gallon of tank size. I use 6500 K, T8s in my tanks. You want bulbs that are closest to natural daylight, that's 5500 K and the 65s are recommended for growing most aquatic plants.

The Crypts and mosses I have do very well with a little less than 1 watt of light per gallon. Not familiar with the Spirialis plant, but if you have it with the other two, then likely it will do well under similar lighting conditions.

Lighting in general, is really pretty simple unless you get into the more demanding plants.

I also dose a couple of different kinds of liquid ferts. I've found over the years, the low to moderate light plants do best if I fertilize several times a week.

B

The issue you will have with a hex is getting lighting that will give you the intensity you want, because of the small surface area. You could try using a pendant arrangement or perhaps a fixture with 2 x 23W compact florescents. The depth is an issue, but crypts and java moss are very tolerant of low light. If you go with CFLs, a 4 pack of 24W in Daylight (6500K) or Bright White (5000K) is available at HD for about $10.50.

More Lighting Info

I know that the depth comes into play will those still work

Hello again x...

You're right about the depth issue. I have a 45 G tall with dimensions similar to your hex. It's 24 inches tall.

I still use a 6500 K, but a T12. The bulb in this tank is 32 watts. Still less than a watt per gallon of tank size.

Plants in this tank have been a little tricky. Mostly grow taller Amazon swords, but Crypts and Java fern do nicely.

I've also picked up driftwood pieces from the local river beds and drilled holes in the wood and used black sewing thread to attach Java fern and just floated the piece and floated Indian fern in this tank. It seems to be working so far.

B

Back
Top Bottom