Light hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are optimal lighting hours for plants that also helps reduce algae growth? The plants I have are Amazon swords bacopa and one other that I can't remember the name. There's only one tank with a problem with hair algae. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454032244.111154.jpg this is the plant I can't remember the name of. I currently have the timer set to com on half an hour after sunrise and half an hour before sunset

Keep calm and drum on

What is that? 10 hours? 11 hours? I'd cut it down to 6-7 hours per day. Or do split period with 3 hours on, 3 off, and 4 on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A lot of algae growth is attributed to a lack of Co2 in the water. Co2 injection is not everyone's choice but treatment with Glut or Excel will bump up the carbon in the water for your plants whilst the low level algaecide in those products help future algae growth. Heavier planting also helps prevent algae taking over. If you use Glut or Excel, measure a full dose for the tank but squirt it directly at the algae to kill it off. It helps to stop all water turbulence for about 5 minutes either side of the treatment so that the product is in contact with the algae for longer. The successfully treated algae turns red after 24 hrs and then melts away. It can take quite a few goes to get it under control.
Reducing lighting periods are also effective, reduced total lighting time and splitting it into two shorter periods.
In my tank, it's like a jungle, I use Excel daily, use liquid ferts daily and root tabs very 12 weeks, inject low level Co2 and have the lights on for 13 hours a day. I have no algae.
It's a balancing act and there is no proven formula as all tanks are different. Just experiment and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A lot of algae growth is attributed to a lack of Co2 in the water. Co2 injection is not everyone's choice but treatment with Glut or Excel will bump up the carbon in the water for your plants whilst the low level algaecide in those products help future algae growth. Heavier planting also helps prevent algae taking over. If you use Glut or Excel, measure a full dose for the tank but squirt it directly at the algae to kill it off. It helps to stop all water turbulence for about 5 minutes either side of the treatment so that the product is in contact with the algae for longer. The successfully treated algae turns red after 24 hrs and then melts away. It can take quite a few goes to get it under control.
Reducing lighting periods are also effective, reduced total lighting time and splitting it into two shorter periods.
In my tank, it's like a jungle, I use Excel daily, use liquid ferts daily and root tabs very 12 weeks, inject low level Co2 and have the lights on for 13 hours a day. I have no algae.
It's a balancing act and there is no proven formula as all tanks are different. Just experiment and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 fantastic advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom