Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Light source required for sump ?

Hello all,

I have a 200l / 50g freshwater tank. I have had it for quite some time now and am thinking of putting together a diy sump filter for the tank. I don't have a problem with the diy at all, but a question that popped up was whether it is necessary to have a light source for the sump tank? My sump would otherwise be hidden in it's totally dark cabinet.

Would the presence / absense of light affect the types of beneficial algaes and bacteria that would eventually colonize the sump?

Thx
Roger

Old 04-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Macro algae needs light. You could grow those in your sump.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

With FW, unless you're planning on growing some anacharis or hornwort or other fast growers to help with nutrient uptake, you don't need the light. If you do use the aforementioned plants, you don't need much light and could use a screw-in CF in a desklamp or an NO cabinet light if so inclined.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I've done it again. Thought I wuz posting in Saltwater!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Agreed, you don't need light in a FW sump, unless you want some plants/algae for nitrate absorption (in that case your sump is now called a fuge).

However, it is handy to have a light in the cabinet. I wired in a small Florescent fixture that I can turn on when doing maintanance (and when looking for the small parts that I shove in the cabinets for storage!).
Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the replies and suggestions
It seems I came to the right place for the right advice -great forum !

Later,

Tags
light, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com