Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Wes910 Send a message via Yahoo to Wes910
Light Time

Hi guys, Im new to the forum and to the fish aquarium world. I bought a 10 gal starter tank. I was wondering how many hours a day i should leave the light in the tank on? can you harm the fish by leaving the light on to much?

Old 04-17-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
No more than 12 hours a day. It wont hurt the fish to have it on longer, but you will run into algae problems.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish have circadian rhythms just like us and their behavior can be influenced by the amount of light they receive. The fish in my Q-tank (located within a dark, enclosed tank stand) were lethargic and sluggish until I provided them with a light on a timer.

I would get an inexpensive timer (6 bucks at Home Depot). I have mine set to come on at 10AM and go off at 5PM year round. If I feel like watching the tanks when I get home, I just switch on the lights.

I agree that anything over 12 hours a day is inviting algae trouble.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sort of also depends ont he room they are in. If they are in a well lite room then the lights outside the tank are fine and any extra light in the tank can be used for your viewing pleasure. Also if they are incandescent bulbs you will not want them on for 12 hours a day. Another thing to consider is if you have live plants or not. With live plants the quality and duration of the light become more important.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com