Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arco_Iris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I finally moved my Betta from a one gal to a two gal I know you guys said 5 would be better but I think its big my fish likes it so I think its good? Well I bought a starter aquarium that includes a 2 gal tank, air bubble thingy, and a under gravel filtering system. I added gravel and silk plants. But also with the kit came a lighting thing, like a light bulb that can attach to the top of the tank.

But do I need it? And what is it for? How long would I put it on for at a time? When would a turn it on?

Its very bright, and I'm not sure if Bettas like lots of lighting?

Lighting is mostly for live plant growth, our viewing pleasure and simulating the sun. There is nothing that says the fish won't survive without light. The longer you leave the light on, the faster algae will grow. Bettas are fairly sensitive to light. I switched out the incandescent light for compact flourescent in my betta tanks. Their colors show up so much better under flourescent lighting. But due to the brighter bulbs, I also blacked part of the light out, thus not to stress out my bettas.

hmm...never heard that bettas are light sensitive...I mean, they live in fairly shallow rice paddies...which dependin on how muddy they are would affect how much light actually penetrates.

Anyhow, yes you should use the light, as this will provide the fish with a day/night photocycle, which is absolutely natural. The crappy little incandescent light that came with it will be perfect for the betta, and because that form of lighting is horribly inefficient, you shouldn't really get algae growth. you shouldn't need a black-out area in the tank...if he wants shade he'll swim into the silk plants.

The light should be fine. I have never noticed any problems with my bettas and lighting, and I have all different kinds, bright and dim. Like Malkore said, if he wants shade he'll just go in a plant or whatever.

ashley

The light should be fine. I have never noticed any problems with my bettas and lighting, and I have all different kinds, bright and dim. Like Malkore said, if he wants shade he'll just go in a plant or whatever.

ashley

ashley

whups..maybe a mod will clear those..heh... :wink: :p

We have 22 healthy happy bettas here and light does nothing to health.
They have a spot to hide when they feel unsocialable but are always up front on patrol. :)

The murky water they come from are still very brightly lit for the most part, but I wouldn't call 3-4 foot THAT shallow. They just can't see very far...heh!

Back
Top Bottom