Lighting and lids(hood) help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler2354

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ill post the light i have after I explain.
I bought this light and installed it today and now I have no clue what to do for a hood for my tank sits the light sits on the inside and outside of the tank. I have a plexiglass lid now and so I could cut around the fixture but I really wanted an all glass lid. I need help on figuring out what to do!!!!
Here is the light I have,,,

48" 216W T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood LCD Timer Coral Reef 4x54 Fluorescent Actinic | eBay

Please help!!!

I got the light for Christmas and my tank is a african cichlid tank with lace rock. I thought about live plants but the cichlids would end up tearing them up. One day I want a salt water tank so I've already got the light and tank ill need for that. I'd love to keep this light but I just need hood ideas!! Thanks!!!

The bulbs will be ok for your no plant cichlid tank but are totally wrong for freshwater plants. Fixture is great though. It would be easy to change the bulbs if you decide to go palnted. Then save those bulbs for when you go salty. What size is your tank? OS.

I am assuming that your 75 as a top brace at the center. If so, see if Versa Top has a 24 inch hinged glass top in the front to back depth you need for a 75. You just need to purchase two. If you have a nice glass shop in your town, many can make one for you even with the center hinge. You can also Google, "glass tops for aquariums"and see what comes up. It is recommended not to make top lids out of glass longer than 30 inches because they're too easy to break. The glass will give you a much better transmission of light through it than acrylic. Hope this helps, good luck. OS.

Yes it has a center brace. It's a larger than usual brace tho because I think it was a reptile tank I'm not sure. Most are like a inch and a half wide but this is wider. 22 1/4 x 16 3/8 are the measurements of each side. But I would still have to get the glass cut to fit around the legs of the tank. Looks like I might be selling the light haha

Back
Top Bottom