Lighting and temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just trying to figure out what the correct lighting is for my 10g aquarium. Should i use the hoodlight during the day? Or is daylight good enough?

Also re: temperature, we live in a townhouse with no air conditioning, and the other day it got quite hot outside. I turned the heater way down, to almost off since I thought it wouldn't be necessary, and the water actually got up to almost 82! This is the very beginning of summer, how on earth am i going to control the temperature from getting too warm in there for the little guys?

Those are my questions of the day!

If you don't plan on having a bunch of plants, the light you have now is fine. I leave mine on all day. As far as the heat goes, you don't want a big temp drop at night, so I would set your heater to come on if the temp dips to 79 or so. If you can set up a fan so its blowing across the top of the water that may help a bit.

Also re: temperature, we live in a townhouse with no air conditioning, and the other day it got quite hot outside. I turned the heater way down, to almost off since I thought it wouldn't be necessary, and the water actually got up to almost 82!

that's nothing my tanks have been getting up to 89 but my fish look alright

If you are not growing plants then lights are only cosmetic - assuming the room is not terribly dark. Turning the lights off should help keep the aquarium cooler. Don't turn off your heater. A stable warm temp is better than a changing temp.

If your climate is dry you can buy a swamp cooler. I bought a small one (1.5'x1.5'x2.5 feet).

Forgive my ignorance, but I would not have thought that Canada would be that warm already?

hashbaz said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I would not have thought that Canada would be that warm already?

:) canada's a pretty big place....... its not all the tundra! :) :) :) seriously tho, it has been quite hot so far this spring, not all that unusual, but certainly welcome after the long winter! it was around 24 celcius today (74 F)....... might not seem hot to some, but for this time of year it was great for here! i like it at least 10 degrees hotter (celcius), but we'll get there eventually.......

again, thanks for the tips all! i always get such great help here.

You don't need to turn the heater off when it gets hot, it turns itself off once the water temp is over the set number.

Back
Top Bottom