Lighting for a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone

I'm new to aquariums and planted tanks so I have a few questions. I got the 29 gallon marineland aquarium kit that comes with an LED lighting fixture. Its stats are the following:

Number/Color of LED and Wattage: 42 White/3 Blue .11W LEDs
Total Watts 4.62
Total Lux: 990
Lumens @ 12: 310

Is this enough light to grow any aquarium plants? If so, which ones? I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to grow a lot of plants but it seems like this light is bare bones and just for the aesthetics of the aquarium. Thanks

It will grow very little unfortunately.. anubias , java fern, some moss.. if you're hungry for plants than ditch that top and get a finnex planted plus or 24/7 with a glass.topp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will grow very little unfortunately.. anubias , java fern, some moss.. if you're hungry for plants than ditch that top and get a finnex planted plus or 24/7 with a glass.topp

Would just low light plants work well? I currently have anacharis, hair grass, and an Amazon Sword. I plan on getting anubias and Java fern too. Would the low light plants grow well or would they be able to merely survive? I could also use co2 supplements and ferts. I also have fluorite substrate. Thanks

Just low light plants, they will grow slow under that light. Hairgrass requires medium light and a bunch of other goodies. Good substrate and liquid carbon and ferts will always help. No need to start duplicate threads;)

While on the topic: I've got a glass top with two 48" T8 bulbs that are 6500K. Will my Amazon swords do alright in sand substrate with root tabs? Haven't been supplementing carbon lately, but I can start again.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom