lighting found on ebay... this look good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's not some sort of a scam, it sounds good to me. I just paid $250 for a JBJ 4 X 65 PC which is awesome!! Plants are growing like weeds without co2... I don't have any experiance with this light though, maybe someone else who has used this light can shed some light on the subject (no pun intended).

HTH

Joe

just curious, I went back and read everything after skimming through the plant forum, and the two actinin blue bulbs are apparently worthless... if this is true, could I switch out the actinin blue bulbs for two of the "daylight bulbs" ? They seem to be exactly the same type of bulb, just one is blue. So would that work?

"Don't pay crazy prices for hi-compacts by direct from the fishman and make your fish smile. "
With a line like that, how could you pass it up!??

just curious, I went back and read everything after skimming through the plant forum, and the two actinin blue bulbs are apparently worthless... if this is true, could I switch out the actinin blue bulbs for two of the "daylight bulbs" ? They seem to be exactly the same type of bulb, just one is blue. So would that work?
You need to ask the plant people. Some of them don't play over here 8O

Hmm.... Yeah; I, too, am thinking this is possibly a scam. It costs that much to buy 4 of those nice PC bulbs, let alone the ballast and the bulbs...

But this guy/gal looks reputable (1928 sales under his/her belt). I tend to think that he's trying to get rid of these fixtures for a reason. Perhaps becuase they are, as such, uncooled hoods, and will probably get quite hot quite quickly. You could always install some simple fans onto the fixture easily enough, I suppose.

I'd def. be cautious, and call up the guys beforehand to ask why the light is so cheap. I managed to get my Coralife for $140 shipped from somebody *on the inside* (shhhh!), though it does have fans installed, and that was a fantastic deal. This blows that away if it's legit, but I'd definitely check some more before buying!

On Ebay it's always a case of "Caveat Emptor!!"

I really appreciate the responses, the thought of a scam didn't even cross my mind... too trusting I guess. I will definatly do some investigation on this one.

Rubysoho - Private Investigator *gets out magnifying glass and pipe* wait, I don't smoke... hehe, ok I'm in a goofy mood, you'll just have to smile and nod on this one with me :D

The other thing is to look back in the feedback and see who else bought this fixture and e-mail them. E-mail many of them :wink:

The actinic bulbs will be worthless for freswater plant growth, but you can probably sell them pretty easily to someone with a marine tank :) I would go with two bulbs around 6500K to compiment the 10Ks and provide a good spectrum for plant growth.

People do use those Jebo lights with pretty good results. They are not the best fixtures around, or the best bulbs. This is also not the first time these have sold for this price on eBay. Still, for $80 you can not do any better IMO.

Check out some feedback here:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43280&highlight=jebo

ok, so according to those posts, the bulbs can all be replaced so long as they are 55 wat bulbs. Cool. Now is it worth it to buy the whole thing even if I am planning on replacing the bulbs (maybe not right away)? I can also instal a small fan, or two, to help air circulation (I've found those for pretty cheap before).

Menagerie, I looked through the guy's feedback and for the most part, he sells non-aquarium stuff. I found 2 negative feedbacks though. 1 saying shipping took too long, as in a couple of days too long, nothing outragious (no big deal to me), and the second was that everything arrived ok, but the packing of light bulbs could have been better. Soooo... I'll still do some more searching around, but hopefully this will work out to be a good deal.

Well, you would likely want to use JUST the daylight bulbs and take out the actinics. There is some speculation that the actinics cause unwanted algae growth when used over freshwater tanks. 110 watts of lighting for a 55g is pretty decent for low light plants anyway so it is enough to get you going.

right, and where the actinics are, can I place normal daylight bulbs when I get things rolling? I really want to work with medium and high light plants because I love the look and kinda want the challenge. I already have been playing with low/low-medium light plants and I really like those as well, but I'm ready to move on to something more challenging. :D

thanks again for everyone's advice

Yeah daylight bulbs will plug right in to where the actinics are now. As long as you get the right size and pin type, your fixture does not matter what color temp bulb it is.

great, thanks a bunch!!! I'll wait for a response from the seller before I decide for sure, but I think I will get it.

I tend to be a suspicious ebayer, but this looks legit as anything. The seller has 11 of them and probably found them for a really good high-volume deal. I say do it. Only see how much it will be for the replacement bulbs and how easy it would be to sell the actinic ones.

well, I might just keep the actinic "just in case" I decide to have saltwater someday, and I can use any replacement bulbs so long as they are 55 watts. I'll know by this weekend if I'll get them or not. Need to consult the finances in my slightly empty bank account. I had some paperwork troubles at my work (the school's radio station) so I didn't get paid last month, but I should be getting 2 months' pay within the next two weeks. I was also suppose to get a nice commission check (I'm slaes director for the station) but I loaned it to the school so we can get the new program/computer system that the station desperatly needs. It kinda put a damper on my bank account for now, but hopefully things will work out.

This sounds awesome, but too good to be true. I'm really curious to see what the seller comes back with.

Ok, here is the response from the guy... there are only 4 left so let me know what you guys think!

"It does seem too good to be true, but its not. We
are buying these lights from the manufacturer in pallet lots, which
allows us to get a much better price than buying in ones and two. They
don't have some of the bells and whistles of competitors (ie. cooling
fans), but so far, we have been VERY happy with their performance.
They are a great light at a great price!"

with shipping it will be approx $95

*edit* Oh, I also asked if there was room to instal a fan or two, and he told me just to look at the picture and "guesstimate," but that he hadn't heard of any complaints and that they worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom