Lighting is hardest part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

First let me say that I read this site a lot, and it has almost always helped; but this time there's too much information on lighting for me to process. Way too much.

This should be a simple question.
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with a 48" Perfecto fluorescent hood.
I have rainbow fish.
I want my rainbow fish to look good.
LFS said to get Compact fluorescent Fixture.
They recommended 2 Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k and 2 Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm. (a total of 4 65w bulbs)
I thought this would just grow algae, but they said to add live plants and this wouldn't happen.

All I want is for my fish to look good. They are otherwise very happy, but I don't want them to look like fishin' minners.

Is the suggestion from the LFS a good idea. If not, please recommend something specific. I don't want to sound as though I'm not grateful for the help, but I just can't stand the thoughts of reading another three page discussion of kelvin.

Thanks so much,
Debbie

I would say if you have no intentions of getting your tank full of plants "wall to wall"
you don't need to spend all this money... I think your LFS wants to make some $$$
with you... Those lights they suggest are for "heavy planting", otherwise, as you
say, you get a whole lot of algea (unless you get CO2, fertilizers, bla, bla bla...)

You could get something a bit cheaper (try another LFS). I have seen some units
which mounts on top of your tank, but they have 2 bulbs instead of 1. That would
be plenty, double what you have now, and they are not so costly.

Hope this help. :)

If you want live plants buy the fixture, because it sounds like the fish store wants a $200 plus sale. lol.
However if you just want a light that will make your fish look good but dont want live plants. Here are a few bulbs you could try. Not sure how they will make your fish look since I use 6700k pc bulbs since my tanks are planted.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23579;category_id=1849;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23747;category_id=1849;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23545;category_id=1849;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Forgot to add that generally speaking lights with a lower K rating emits redder light and shows more vivid colors then a higher K rating, which emits bluer light.

Thank for the input. I thought algea would be a problem with this fixture, but I wasn't sure. I'd actually hoped you'd say I was wrong.

Penpitt...I've tried almost every bulb you can think of. The first one on the list that you put together for me (ColorMax) is my favorite. The tank looks good with it, but it just isn't bright enough. My daughter actually borrowed a unit that holds two bulbs and we tried it; but it wasn't bright enough either.

The color is good with the ColorMax, but the fish have to be very near the top of the tank, only down 3 or 4 inches, and directly under the light for their colors to show.

I really appreciate your time,
Thanks a bunch,
Debbie

Back
Top Bottom