lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
if i use a marine lighting fixture on my freshwater what would happen?

because i want a new lighting fixture for my 30 gal that will have live plant nothing to complicated though.

also i really want the lunar lights on the fixture so if you guys can tell me witch brand or model to go with i would really appreciate it

Lunchbox209 said:
if i use a marine lighting fixture on my freshwater what would happen?

because i want a new lighting fixture for my 30 gal that will have live plant nothing to complicated though.

also i really want the lunar lights on the fixture so if you guys can tell me witch brand or model to go with i would really appreciate it

Actinic bulbs do nothing for plants. You want bulbs in the 5,000-6,700k range for plants

Aquatraders.com sells very cheap fixtures, but only the 4 bulb models come with lunar LEDs

Marineland makes an LED light advertised as Reef Capable that includes some blue moonlight LEDs. I have the DoubleBright model, which is supposed to be OK for low light plants, and I love the moonlights.

Obviously, the Reef Capable will be more money. But, I'm sure others will have options as well.

do you have any live plants in the tank using the double bright and if so do they do ok with this fixture

Actinic bulbs do nothing for plants. You want bulbs in the 5,000-6,700k range for plants

Aquatraders.com sells very cheap fixtures, but only the 4 bulb models come with lunar LEDs

just checked it out nice
can i have only the lunars on at night or i have to run it with all the lights on

No, my plants are all fake. The DoubleBrights are not advertised for plants, but some have reported that low level light plants can survive. I would probably go with the higher PAR rated Reef Capable lights. But, do some research, I'm not the plant life expert. I was just recommending them because of the integrated moonlights.

The real benefit of LED is the low wattage. Real efficient compared to even fluorescent bulbs.

No, my plants are all fake. The DoubleBrights are not advertised for plants, but some have reported that low level light plants can survive. I would probably go with the higher PAR rated Reef Capable lights. But, do some research, I'm not the plant life expert. I was just recommending them because of the integrated moonlights.

The real benefit of LED is the low wattage. Real efficient compared to even fluorescent bulbs.
yea moonlights are super dope

Lunchbox209 said:
just checked it out nice
can i have only the lunars on at night or i have to run it with all the lights on

Nope you only put the moonlights on at night.

Lunchbox209 said:
So they have their own individual switch on the t5 odyssea light fixtures

Yeah, they do. It wouldn't make sense having one switch for them both because it defeats the purpose of having moonlights.

George9 said:
Yeah, they do. It wouldn't make sense having one switch for them both because it defeats the purpose of having moonlights.

Ok cool thank you for helping me out will be placing order later on today

If you think of them as just night lights that's true. However, using them in the daytime still adds depth to the tank and highlights. It looks much more "natural" if I can use that word to describe something very un-natural. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom