Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon I bought off of someone from Craigslist. It's been up and running for about a week or 2 now and doing great. I'm starting to want to plant the tank, I have excel, flourish, and root tabs. And have an idea for my plants. The only thing is, the tank came with a hood and a not so great light :/

What are some suggestions for bulbs? I want to be able to keep low-medium light plants. Fluorescent light is a plus but I'm not sure what to get for the hood/plants. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

image-2096829687.jpg

These are some pictures for reference, again it's very bare!

Lighting for a 30 G

I have a 30 gallon I bought off of someone from Craigslist. It's been up and running for about a week or 2 now and doing great. I'm starting to want to plant the tank, I have excel, flourish, and root tabs. And have an idea for my plants. The only thing is, the tank came with a hood and a not so great light :/

What are some suggestions for bulbs? I want to be able to keep low-medium light plants. Fluorescent light is a plus but I'm not sure what to get for the hood/plants. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Hello Ju...

If you're using standard, florescent lighting, then you don't need fancy fertilizers. Your fish, provided you're well stocked and feed them a balanced diet, will provide the fertilizer. You can get plant bulbs at the local hardware store for a few dollars and they'll last well over a year. GE has a good bulb. A couple of 17 watt, T8s or 12s will work. The plants that require subdued lighting will do fine in this type of light.

B

I meant LED lights :( that was my mistake!
I have LEDs on my 20 gal and love it like no other.

I figured since I have the hood already for the 30 that's Id just replace the bulb. But what kind of watt would I be looking at?

Thank you for your help, regardless of my mistake!

Would I be able to take the light part of the hood off and rest it where the lights go? Or is it a free standing for an aquarium with no hood?

image-794626630.jpg

This is what I mean. There is a bulb inside this detachable part of the hood and it rests on top of a clear insert

Attachments

• image-1946154644.jpg
    image-1946154644.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 47
Would I be able to take the light part of the hood off and rest it where the lights go?

This is what I mean. There is a bulb inside this detachable part of the hood and it rests on top of a clear insert

I think most people are removing their existing hood and putting the light on top.
If you have fish that jump then you would need some sort of cover to go below the light.

satellite-freshwater-led-plus2.jpg

Mr-Aqua-12-gallon-long-Current-USA-satellite-freshwater-LED-Aquascape-nature-aquarium-light-for-aquatic-plants-redcherryshrimp.jpg

Those do look like some gorgeous lights! Maybe I'll ask Santa for them :p the 30 is empty for now. I don't plan on stocking until January just due to traveling, it's going through a cycle as well. So strictly plants :)
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom