Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chafire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I am trying to understand aquarium lighting more clearly and have a couple questions regarding it:

First off in my 10 gallon planted aquarium I have two of these bulbs Bright Effects at Lowe's: Daylight 40-Watt Replacement CFL Twist Bulb and am wondering if I should up my WPG? currently growing in my tank is just Riccia and dwarf hairgrass.

The hood I use is this:
p_rd_930208_13978Z-IO.jpg

I could put up my WPG to 30 if I went with 15 watt bulbs.

Also is it better to use Flourescent T-bulbs or the spiral screw in types like I'm currently using?

And are Full spectrum light bulbs fine to use for aquariums?, I dont see why not:rolleyes:.

I realize that there are much better light bulbs out there but they come at a cost and I'm not trying to break the bank on this 10 gallon tank I'm just using it to get used to growing plants/aquascaping.

Thanks
~Graham

if the plants are green and growing i wouldnt switch it. if you are not getting the effect you want the up it.

in a 10 gallon the spiral bulbs make it easy to get the desired effect vs the t8 t12 bulbs that are common.

full spectrum bulbs are fine to use for plants. the cfl bulbs i make sure are the daylight and 6500k.

you came up with a great idea many people use .

Back
Top Bottom