lighting questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryannao

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was just curious if my tank is in fromt of a window, is the sunlight as beneficial as an actual light? will it grow plants and stuff? if this is a dumb question i'm sorry, i just can't afford a light at the moment. ):

Well the Walstad method utilizes natural light. Things to watch out for: temp increases and indecreases due to sun and then night time, algae growth can be increased due to natural light. I think you can get away with it but just watch your temps carefully and get an algae scraper. Best wishes!!

thanks! i kindof figured it woild be fine considering plants grow from sunlight in nature anyway, lol. but considerig its getting colder i don't thing the temperature will change a lot now.

i was just curious if my tank is in fromt of a window, is the sunlight as beneficial as an actual light? will it grow plants and stuff? if this is a dumb question i'm sorry, i just can't afford a light at the moment. ):

Yes, don't forget that plants grow in nature. The big issue with doing it this way is algae. It's very hard to control sunlight levels (like you could with a light fixture) so usually it makes an algae farm.

jetajockey said:
Yes, don't forget that plants grow in nature. The big issue with doing it this way is algae. It's very hard to control sunlight levels (like you could with a light fixture) so usually it makes an algae farm.

yeah, i got a taste of that a while back when i left my blinds open. it was everywhere, i'll just be very careful!

Back
Top Bottom