Lightning/bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 high with two bolivian rams in it, which are still spooked silly since I put them in 2 days ago. They haven't eaten yet and are pale. I was wondering if this light: Aqueon® Mini Compact 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart, which is the one in my tank is too much for rams.

EDIT: I'll put the color temperature once I get home and look at them today. Also the filter is a penguin 200, which flow I'm kind of thinking is too strong? I need opinions on this too.

That light shouldn't be too strong. What are your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Those probably play a bigger role in stress than lighting.

That light shouldn't be too strong. What are your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Those probably play a bigger role in stress than lighting.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: About 5-10 ppm yesterday

I'll post a pic of the tank from my phone later.

Can't see a picture but if they don't have enough cover/hiding places and the fact they are new to the tank they are going to be stressed and spooky. Only run lights about 4 hours a day for a few days and give them time. They will eat if they get hungry unless something else is going on.

I have 2 Bolivian rams in my community tank, they looked like that for about a week until they got comfortable. Now they are everywhere but to appreciate my tank is well planted and the have a lot of hiding spots

I agree with rivercats keep the lights on max 4hrs a day for now. And I also can't see the pic

Edit: it took mine about 4-5 days to finally eat (Frzn bloodworms did the trick) now they eat like champs

Good news is they ate bloodworms today. They waited till the current brought them to their mouths inside a cave cause they're too afraid of me :(. Btw the tank is more heavily planted today with about 8 more elodea stems and more floating plants.

Good news is they ate bloodworms today. They waited till the current brought them to their mouths inside a ave cause they're too afraid of me :(. Btw the tank is mote heavily planted today with about 8 more elodea stems and more floating plants.

Great to hear, don't worry that was my pair at first now they beg for food and are always out and about. I also suggest no to change or add anything for a few days until they really settle in

Great to hear, don't worry that was my pair at first now they beg for food and are always out and about. I also suggest no to change or add anything for a few days until they really settle in

What about the filter is a penguin 200 too much for them, considering it's a 20 gal?

I think the filter should not be an issue, I always go way over o filtration.

I think it was just a matter of getting used to their new surroundings. The two of them (male and female) are now very active, exploring, trying to chase my kuhlis off of their food lol, rubbing each other, nipping each other and being all romantic I guess.

Nice set up, really like that rock.

Thanks. About the rock I found it at petsmart. It was at a discount for $18 so I had to grab it. I just didn't have the patience to get some bogwood, cure it, etc.

How are they doing now? Getting better?

They are out and about playing with the danios lol. They have regained some color but they're still not how I saw them at the lfs. I'm thinking the color of my lightning may have something to do with it but idk. Check out my thread in the showcase forum for more recent pics :).

Back
Top Bottom