Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antman1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My girlfriend and I argue over the fact that she thinks the white light should stay on in the tank 24/7. I think its ok to leave the blue light on but the white light should be turned off after feeds.
She believes the white light is good for the baby bristlenose because the more aggressive fish will only eat them in darkness.
Any thoughts?

antman1975 said:
My girlfriend and I argue over the fact that she thinks the white light should stay on in the tank 24/7. I think its ok to leave the blue light on but the white light should be turned off after feeds.
She believes the white light is good for the baby bristlenose because the more aggressive fish will only eat them in darkness.
Any thoughts?

Most fish rest at night I'm not 100% on this but I would guess leaving a light on 24/7 would really stress your fish and not allow proper rest periods the sun doesn't stay up 24hrs so I wouldn't think it makes sense to leave it on all day and night but again I'm no expert.

I've read that all fish need a period with zero tank lighting and minimal external tank lighting.

Your fish would appreciate some total darkness or a very dim moonlight setting. My 75g African tank has moonlights but it's very dim but noticeable. Nothing over powering.

My Bio Cube 29g I have moonlights on starting at 8pm and at 3am I have total darkness until 7am.

I don't think keeping the lights on 24/7/365 is a good idea. It more then likely stress the fish and cause algae issues.

No it is not good to leave the light on 24/7 you want your tank to mimic natural cycles as much as possible 8-10 hours of light is all that's needed but you need at least 12 hours of darkness also that much light would cause major algae issues.

Yes it does cause algae issues.
We have a blue light which allows us to see the fish but isn't bright, and also keeps algae to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom