Lights on. How long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luggy978

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. At the moment I'm putting my lights on when the sun comes up and turning them off when it goes down. This means that the lights are on for about 14hrs a day. It does seem quite a long time as I have read some posts where they are only on for about 8. How ling should they be on? Can any of ya shed a bit if light on this subject for me plz!!

Thank you :)

One day at a time

6-8 hours, depending on algae growth, seems to be the norm..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Lighting

Hi all. At the moment I'm putting my lights on when the sun comes up and turning them off when it goes down. This means that the lights are on for about 14hrs a day. It does seem quite a long time as I have read some posts where they are only on for about 8. How ling should they be on? Can any of ya shed a bit if light on this subject for me plz!!

Thank you :)

One day at a time

Hello Lugg...

My aquarium plants are tropical, so they're used to long hours of daylight in the places they grow naturally. Apparently, this time is referred to as the "photo period". Most of what I've read on this says the tank lights should be on between 10 and 14 hours a day. I have my tank's light on a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 off, or in the middle of what's recommended. I keep the dark green. low light plants. They seem to be fine with 12 hours.

Your call, you're the tank keeper.

B

All depends on your purpose for lighting and what type.
Fish don't care much for light, plants do anywhere in the 6-10 hours depending on the plants you have, intensity and duration should vary.

Back
Top Bottom