Lights on. Lights off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering how much people keep their lights on... I usually turn mine off at 10-11pm and turn them on around 7-8pm. Is there anyone who leaves their lights on 24/7? Whats everyone else do?

my tank geta a good 8 hours, of not quite direct sunlight, so i only have them on for an hour or so when i get home when i'm paying attention to my fish...
else my oscars get extremely stroppy if they don't get they're 1 on 1

i turn my tank of sometimes at 10 pm, sometimes at midnight. .. and then turn them on whenever i wake up
So its not really a set time. Also, sometimes when i work nights my husband doesn't turn the lights off so they wind up with all night lights.

I have two tanks on timers and they run from 8 AM to noon then from 1 PM to 8 pm. The other tanks I turn on in the morning after getting up and off later on in the evening right after feeding time.

I used to keep my lights on all the time before I realized that they kinda needed them off once and a while ^^; but I just put them on when I get up and then at like 11 or whenever i go to bed

It is better for the fishes health to have a set photoperiod done by timer or by hand, by timer is much easier. 8-10 hours a day is plenty of time on, too many hours on and your likely going to have algae problems so 24/7 really is a bad idea, the fish will have a difficult time getting any rest that way as well.

I put mine on about 11 pm (There tea time) and watch them for about 1-2 hours before I go to sleep and then turn them off on a morning at about 7 AM when they get there breakfast.

i turn them on when i wake up and turn them off when i go to bed

so basically i turn them on at Noon(i'm lazy and this is my summer and i work from 3-11) and then i turn them off around 12 or 1am so 12-13 hrs on, my plants seem to love it so it works well for me :D

I put mine on from 6-11 (on work & school days) and probably 10-11 (when I'm slacking off)

I've never had algae problems even when I had the lights on 24/7 for a few months ._. ...but now my molly babies generally eat off of the stuff off the plants so maybe that's why? ^^;

I feed those food hogs like 3-4 times a day cuz they're still growing and when I'm NOT feeding them THEY SCAVENGE!

Puriti said:
I feed those food hogs like 3-4 times a day cuz they're still growing and when I'm NOT feeding them THEY SCAVENGE!

If you think those little things are hogs try keeping Africans or Oscars.. :biglol:

Yeah but I also am feeding about 50 inhabitants in my tank which eat different levels so I have to put food on the top and then put some in the flow of the filter so it shoves the food down and I put at least 3 pinches of food to feed them all @__@ the babies just eat the most

but I'm digressing from topic lol

My lights are on from 10 am to 10 pm. You wanna see some pigs at feeding time, get some juvenile angels.

Pigs? Our Africans jump out of the water as soon as you open the hood at feeding time. A few weeks ago I had my hand above the tank and I had food in it but I turned away to catch something on the news. Next thing I know a fish jumps and hits my hand and is laying there in it. (my hand was turned over) Then the others start jumping about half their bodies out of the water. :D Talk about scaring you half to death. Then are porkers! :D

Back
Top Bottom