Lights out for a day to clear cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afFISHionado

Aquarium Advice Regular
On two occasions so far, I forgot to turn on the lights on my tank before I left for work. Each time the water happened to be a little cloudy. When I finally turned the lights on the following morning the water was so clear it looked as though I had run the Diatom Filter for 2 hours! After I saw the exact same results the second time this happened I thought that this may be more than just a coincidence. Perhaps a type of suspended algae that died off with the day of darkness? Anyway, next time my water gets cloudy (which isn't that often) I am going to keep the lights out for a day and see if there is indeed a method to my madness. Has anyone here ever observed this phenomenon?

I have never done that before, but it could have possibly been algae in the water that you was clearing.
see if there is indeed a method to my madness.

Please let us know if indeed there is a method to your madness hahahahah

well, you may be in the right park. Sometimes a poor light will help aid in the multiplication of algae. Much like when a tank is getting almost direct sunlight, algae city

I'm sure it was algea. Like Rubix said poor light (incadesant) will promote free floating algea.

Back
Top Bottom