Little white worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryehard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just recently noticed some little white 'tenticles' coming out of my substrate to poke around for food I'd assume. I don't see very many of them at a time but it still skeeves me out. I've had my tank set up for almost 6 months now and I've never noticed this before. The only thing I've changed recently is that I've added real plants to my tank. Does anyone know what these are and if they're harmful?

Sounds like planaria. They are harmless and come about because of overfeeding. Feed a little less and they should go away.

Cool, I'll give it a good vacuuming tommorow. I have a few people in my house that like to feed the fish whenever they see them beg for food, so I'll probably have to do something about that :? . Should I do a couple back-to-back water changes as well?

Hide the food to keep "helpful" household members at bay with feedings. You shouldn't need to do back to back water changes.

Okay I did a thorough cleaning of the substrate, and I'm cutting back on my feeding (as well as hiding the food :) ). Surprizingly, I haven't seen the little buggers in a while, though I'm sure it would take longer than this for them to die off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom