Live Bearer question interbreeding differant types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I sure do love my molly fish and I think once the cycle is done and i've thinned out oll the problems in the tank (and theres a few) I would like to add some more particularly some Black Mollies and mabie a couple dalmations.

If I put them all in the tank will I end up with a buch of mixed breed frys? or do Gold Dust, black, baloon and lyre tails all keep to their own kind?

Also do a bunch of females get along a lot better than the 3:1 recomended ratio of female to males?

Also how often should I expect a new batch of fry (I've had my tank less than 2 weeks and already have 5 baby gold dust mollies!).

Thats all for now, more questions to come!

The different mollies will interbreed. Just like most livebearers, they will breed with members of the same species. You may end up with some mixed breed fry, but some of the fry will look like either their mother or father.

I have only 2 female black lyre tail mollies in my tank and the larger one acts like an alpha female and bullies the other female, especially at feeding time. I don't know if a bunch of molly female would be better or not.

I believe that mollies take about 4-6 weeks from conseption to birth and they can store sperm for anywhere from 3 to 6 months. That means that even if your male were to die (hope this don't happen), you could still expect batches of fry for that long.

ALL mollies can interbreed.

Even balloons and "regular" mollies.

I'm dealing with the fear in one of my tanks that I may one day be the proud owner to some Balloon Lyretail Sailfin mollies. 8O

William said:
ALL mollies can interbreed.

Even balloons and "regular" mollies.

I'm dealing with the fear in one of my tanks that I may one day be the proud owner to some Balloon Lyretail Sailfin mollies. 8O

LOL now that would be somthing!

Back
Top Bottom