Live blood worms in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can blood worms survive the freezing process?

I was cleaning some of the debrie from the bottom of my 5 gallon betta tank (the 6 amano shrimp are making a mess of the bottom of the tank). After finding some pond snails that hitched a ride on some plants, I've been on the lookout for any more snails. So once I sucked up this one lump of debrie, I looked at it close with a magnifying glass to see if it was a snail, or perhaps the carcus of a snail. It didn't take long before it was quite apparent that something ON this glob was alive. I soon realized that there were several tiny worms (way finer that a hair and maybe 1/8" long... only way to see them is under a magnifying glass) apparently feeding off of (or being born from?) this glob.

What could these worms be?

FWIW, I had yesterday thawed some frozen blood worms and dropped a clump of them in the tank yesterday for the betta (and the shrimp) to feed on overnight. It makes me wonder if what I am seeing are baby blood worms.

Small and white?
Possibly planaria? I get them sometimes, as I understand it is a result of uneaten food left in the tank although I don't know how they get in there.

for the most part blood worms are larva not real worms. i think missileman is right on.

Bob is right, they are red mosquito larvae. They won't stay "worms" for long if they are in fact bloodworms. My guess is that they are some other worms.

Back
Top Bottom