Live Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60 gallon with all fake plants, fully cycled, with fish in tank. I have been thinking about adding a live plant or 2 but not exactly sure how to go about it or what all I need or if what I have will work.

I have black sand that I got from Petco. And my lights are just 2 - 12 inch fluorescent lights.

Not sure I want to go entirely all live plants right now but think I would be nice to add 1 or 2 to start out and go from there.

So any info I can get in what I need, how to grow and take care of them and everything else I need to know about live plant. And which plants would be best for beginners ???????????

Thanks in advance

Lighting determines what plants will grow in plants and you have very low light. About all that might work in your tank are Anubia, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus which are tied onto driftwood or rocks. Crypts would work for planting in the substrate but you will need to add root tabs as they are heavy root feeders.

Ok. I assume the plants you suggested are low lighting plants? What are root tabs??? And would I just buy the plants and then just bury them in the sand ??

Found this article? Is this good to follow? Although I'm not just setting up a tank. I'm adding to a already established tank.

Your lights are enough for the plants he mentioned. Roots tabs are a form of fertilizer. You bury them under plants that are heavy root feeders, like crypts and swords. The anubias, java fern, and bolbitua are all plants that have rhizomes. They look like bars that the leaves grow out of. When you bury these types of plants, only bury the attachment roots and leave the rhizome in the open. If it can't get light your plant will eventually die. One good thing about these rhizome plants is that you don't even have to bury them. You can just tie them to a piece of driftwood or decor and they'll attach to it over time. Back to root tabs. For now you can just get the seachem root tabs. Most planted tank enthusiasts use DIY root tabs made from Osmocote+. Most planted forums will have someone who makes them and usually sells 100 tabs for $12 shipped. Definitely beats paying $10 for 10 tabs for the seachem ones.

Your lights are enough for the plants he mentioned. Roots tabs are a form of fertilizer. You bury them under plants that are heavy root feeders, like crypts and swords. The anubias, java fern, and bolbitua are all plants that have rhizomes. They look like bars that the leaves grow out of. When you bury these types of plants, only bury the attachment roots and leave the rhizome in the open. If it can't get light your plant will eventually die. One good thing about these rhizome plants is that you don't even have to bury them. You can just tie them to a piece of driftwood or decor and they'll attach to it over time. Back to root tabs. For now you can just get the seachem root tabs. Most planted tank enthusiasts use DIY root tabs made from Osmocote+. Most planted forums will have someone who makes them and usually sells 100 tabs for $12 shipped. Definitely beats paying $10 for 10 tabs for the seachem ones.

Great info. Thanks. Will my sand I have in the aquarium work okay for plants? And will having fish in the aquarium harm the plants??? I only plan to add 1 maybe 2 right away. And my lights are 24 inch aqueon fluorescent lights not sure the wattage. And those are on for 11 hours. Then I have 2 LED blue Hydro H2Show light that come on once my daytime lights turn off. And those are on for 4 hours.

I have been reading about having to add CO2. Is this anything i must do ????

These low light plants will grow in almost any amount of light you provide. Except for maybe the crypt. It's a low light plant, but a 24" fixture on a 60 gallon seems I bit too low for crypts. But just to be sure, is it a single 24" bulb? I see that in your first post you mention that you have a 2x12" bulb. Are the bulbs t12 or t5? T12 are the standard looking fat florescent light bulbs. T5 are the really skinny ones. What are the dimensions of your tank? You should have no problem with that photoperiod. Co2 is only required when you have a high amount of light, so you won't be needing co2.

These low light plants will grow in almost any amount of light you provide. Except for maybe the crypt. It's a low light plant, but a 24" fixture on a 60 gallon seems I bit too low for crypts. But just to be sure, is it a single 24" bulb? I see that in your first post you mention that you have a 2x12" bulb. Are the bulbs t12 or t5? T12 are the standard looking fat florescent light bulbs. T5 are the really skinny ones. What are the dimensions of your tank? You should have no problem with that photoperiod. Co2 is only required when you have a high amount of light, so you won't be needing co2.

I have 2 - 24 inch light fixtures. Sorry I was thinking of my old tank and light fixtures when i said 2 - 12 inch lights. My tank is 48 L x 13 D x 24 H. I think the bulbs are the standard looking fat ones. I would be ok with purchasing different bulbs if I must.

That'll be fine for java fern, anubias, and bolbitus but not much else. If you really want to upgrade your lights look into t5 or LED. I say just take it slow, stick with these plants for now and if you develop a green thumb go ahead and upgrade.

That'll be fine for java fern, anubias, and bolbitus but not much else. If you really want to upgrade your lights look into t5 or LED. I say just take it slow, stick with these plants for now and if you develop a green thumb go ahead and upgrade.

Thanks. I will have to do some research on what these plants look like and which ones I want to get. And what is t5? Is that just a type a bulb? And with those plants that you mentioned above. Would i need tab roots? And will I need to add some sand to help anchor the plants down??? Do I need to adjust the time period my lights are on ??

T5 is just a different type of bulb. It's more efficient and puts out more light for its size. These plants, or any with a rhizome, will not benefit from root tabs at all. Even if your bury their attachment roots in the substrate. Everything is absorbed through the rhizome. They benefit from liquid or powder fertilizer that you dose directly into the water column. Whatever substrate you have now will work fine. Typically planted tanks have a 10 hour photoperiod, but 11 is fine unless you have algae issues.

T5 is just a different type of bulb. It's more efficient and puts out more light for its size. These plants, or any with a rhizome, will not benefit from root tabs at all. Even if your bury their attachment roots in the substrate. Everything is absorbed through the rhizome. They benefit from liquid or powder fertilizer that you dose directly into the water column. Whatever substrate you have now will work fine. Typically planted tanks have a 10 hour photoperiod, but 11 is fine unless you have algae issues.

Ok. May be a dumb question but what is rhizome?? I could change to the T5 down the road if I want then. And would I need to get some type of fertilizer.??? And i can change my timer so the daytime light is only 10 hours. Will my LED Blue lights affect them ??

A rhizome is the horizontal stem structure that stores energy and sends out both shoots, (vertical stems, leaves) and roots. It creeps along the surface of the substrate or the object, usually driftwood or rocks, that it is attached to.

You can upgrade lighting any time you want. Blue moonlights have no effect on the tank or plants. You can also decrease lighting if you want but if your not having algae growth at the hours your running lights now I wouldn't change them. With as low as your lighting is right now I would give plants a longer photoperiod.

As for ferts I like to use Flouish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone in low light tanks BUT you have a larger tank which makes using liquid ferts very expensive. So you can try not using any and see how the plants do for awhile but down the road they will likely need some type of fertilization.

microsorum_pteropus_rhizome3.jpg

img_2724912_1_41b8d0d0ae4abb138eacd121380a7fd6.jpg

Fertilizer won't be necessary. I wouldn't dose ferts until you have a decent amount of plants. Anubias and java fern are notoriously slow growers so fert intake might not be high enough at this time. Algae can take advantage of these excess ferts, starting more problems.

No your blue LEDs won't affect them. A rhizome, or more properly rootstock, is a horizontal stem of a plant. Ferts really depend on the type of plant and the light that you provide it. With and inert substrate like sand you will need to use root tabs for plants like swords, crypts, and wisteria and you may also need a liquid fert like flourish comprehensive. But with low light you really won't need to use very much if any ferts in the water column. The break down of fish waste should provide everything your plants need. Check your bulbs they will have it written on them what type of bulb it is. That will be what type of bulb you have and will have to replace it with.
Your lighting requirements have more to with what plants you want to grow. So take a look around and see what kind of plants that your want and and then we can better let you know what you will need.

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful

As of right now I'm not having any problem with algae. What are some of everyone favorite type plants that look nice and fish seem to love. As I stated its my first time doing live plants so not even sure all the different kinds.

So when I got to buy plants do I buy the seeds or do I buy the ones already being grow in the store.????

You buy plants not seeds and Pet Smart has really increased the amount of plants in boxes and tubes you can buy. They have different Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and crypts which are what your limited to now.

You buy plants not seeds and Pet Smart has really increased the amount of plants in boxes and tubes you can buy. They have different Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and crypts which are what your limited to now.

Thanks great to know. Just need to do some research to figure out what type I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom