Live Plants vs Hiding Caves, Hollow Logs, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hpiguy said:
Tell me more about this "tackyness"..... I'm very interested. :cool:

It's just my opinion. I'm just a more natural type guy. Im not crazy about all of the blue, yellow and pink plastic plants.Although many people can mix fake plants in with real ones and make it work.

Although many people can mix fake plants in with real ones and make it work.

I totally get your point. No problem. Just wanted to show you what can be done if you work at it and go natural looking, using both real and fake stuff. Which is what the OP was questioning.

I'm building another one that is going to really disagree with some people. I mean really disagree. And some will love it. I'll post it up once I'm all done.

I'll be interested in others views on it both ways.

You have to look at your tank, do what you like.

I pick types of plants based on what the tank will be for, fish, invertebrates, babies.

For years I used certain plastic ones, for protection, cover, coloring, texture, hiding the intake tubes, etc.

Sometimes you are focused on keeping your fish healthy, and taking on plant issues and keeping requirements is too much at one time. It is nice to be able to enjoy your fish, not worry about proper lighting and fertilizing. lol Do what you are comfortable with.

I always added a couple different plants like Banana plant or a simple low light plants, because the fish like them, and it is more natural. It also depends on what kinds of fish you will be stocking.

Now keeping the fish is working well and I have been working more on planted tanks.

Some fishes colors will become more brilliant when they are in a planted tank, I have noticed it especially in my Neon tetras and Harlequin Rasboras, and my Cories seem happier with more plants!

A word of caution, dying plants or sickly plants are generally not worth ANY price. I have killed fish due to bad water from decaying plant matter in the tank :facepalm:. I just didn't understand how fast it can cause dangerous water parameters! Please take out dead leaves or very sick plants. To keep water in better condition. - Hope that will save you some grief. :flowers:

Many people and many opinions and experiences here too. Do your own additional fact checking and research, and have fun and enjoy!:fish1:

I didnt see it mentioned but be aware of the needs of the plants too
Some need CO2 and better lighting

Back
Top Bottom