Live Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in a bout two months I am moving and taking my tank with me, I would like to switch to Sand. Do you think that when i remove the gravel to put the sand in i will cut down on my bio-load too much because the BB live in the gravel. Also I want the black sand cause i will eventually get into the planted tanks and it really makes the greens come out. What are some good brands of sand?

So in a bout two months I am moving and taking my tank with me, I would like to switch to Sand. Do you think that when i remove the gravel to put the sand in i will cut down on my bio-load too much because the BB live in the gravel. Also I want the black sand cause i will eventually get into the planted tanks and it really makes the greens come out. What are some good brands of sand?

Bacteria live where they can, take away the gravel for sand and they'll find somewhere else to live. PFS is the best choice IMO/E and 3 of my 4 tanks has PFS, the 4th will be getting it soon enough. I recommend Leslie's Pool Supply PFS, they have silica based and non-silica based sand, get the latter and (like my tanks) you should have zero issues with diatoms (BA). If you want black sand (I prefer the natural look myself) rookie gets some kind of blasting sand from HD(?) that's black, so check with him.

Stick the old gravel in a media bag or an old panty hose leg on top of the new media, and remove some every week. If you can't move the gravel with you, you're more likely to go through a cycle after the move. Keep everything that you remove from the tank for the move damp so as much of the bacteria as possible survive. Bring your dirty old filter media, and don't be tempted to clean everything while you're taking it down.

If you want to get into planted tanks, another option is to buy a lot of the cheap, weedy, low-light bunch plants. Put those in the aquarium as you're setting it up, and they will absorb the ammonia the same way the bacteria would have. I've sucessfully set up new tanks with large bioloads this way. If you move without the old bacteria and are waiting on the plants, you may need to do a lot of water changes to keep ahead of the cycle.

I didn't even think about putting some of the weedy low light plants in there. Also i am interested in the Black Tahitian Moon Sand, any objections to it?

Back
Top Bottom