livebearers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone ever heard of green or red godias? i was just offered some, but im pretty sure this is probably a short spelling for maybe a coommon name? any help

Devilishturtles said:
Godias are new to me as well. The only livebearer fish are platies, mollies, guppies, swordtails, and endlers.

There are more than you think. The knife, for example, is one you didn't list. Some just aren't as common as the "big 4" (mollies, guppies, platies and swordtails) I think the original poster is refering to the Goodeid family which are also livebearing (well, all but two species). Actually I think the Knife Livebearer might be a Goodeid, I'm not sure.

Goodeids are larger than most livebearers at up to 4 inches. They are excellent for controlling hair algae and give birth to very large young-1 inch at birth! Unlike other livebearers, goodeid young are actually nourished by the mother before birth.

Edit: add another livebearer to the list as well-halfbeaks.

I've heard of them, but never bought any before. I actually considered buying some off of aquabid, but decided to try my luck with guppies first.

yup you guys are right, thanks alot for you replies, the guy is emailing me some pics but they are from the Goodeid fam. and there are a whole bunch of livebreeders out there...

[/quote]There are more than you think. The knife, for example, is one you didn't list.[/quote]

knives are live bearers, are you sure, i have a black ghost knife, and while impossible to breed in captivity, except for that guy in australia he had pictures of bgk eggs, and hatchlings

ButterflyGoodeid.jpg

Found this picture of a butterfly goodeid. It seems there are different color varieties.

hc8719 said:
There are more than you think. The knife, for example, is one you didn't list.

knives are live bearers, are you sure, i have a black ghost knife, and while impossible to breed in captivity, except for that guy in australia he had pictures of bgk eggs, and hatchlings

I think only Alfaro Cultratus is a livebearer. After some research I found it was not a Goodeid, its actually a Poeciliidae.

That about caps my knowledge of livebearers, so far the list is:

Mollies
Guppies
Swordtails
Platies
Endlers
Knife Livebearer
Goodeids

Anybody know any more?

Halfbeaks and mosquito fish. (And only people who keep endlers don't consider them to be the same thing as guppies, but they are just in denial. JK :roll: )

no offense but the Alfaro Cultratus, is not a "real" knife, i was thinking of clown knives, BGKs, african knives.

my mistake (and the person who wrongfully named that fish)

Well that may be but it is called a "Knife Livebearer" and I hate typing long names so thats how I abbreviate it :p

Back
Top Bottom