loach compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at my LFS today and they had one yo-yo loach. I'd love to get it but I have two zebra loaches (B. striata) already in my 55 gal. Do loaches of different species get along OK, or would mixing them be an invitation for territory squabbles?

I have seen tanks with chain loach (about 5 of them) with 1 zebra (b. striata) and they get along fine, tbh they dont really interact.

I think most types go well together, but skunks can be aggressive or are the most aggressive of the lot.

I could only really see the size of a tank to be reason for territory squabbles and yours seems fine you could probably get another zebra and 3 yo-yo's. Although yo-yo's do get quite a bit bigger i think it wont matter as they like the interaction (i think, im no expert lol)

I would get some more zebras if i were you, i have 3 in my 30gal and they love it, loaches should be kept in groups of 3+ and you could have 5-6 in your tank.
Although i would keep a bigger amount of zebra's personally to make them feel more safe as the yo-yo's get bigger.

Yo-yo's are great to watch, My brother has 3! in his 20gal they are more than happy and are always out and about.
However 20gal is s bit small for them and he would love to get a bigger tank to see them really flourish. HTH

i have yo yo loaches and zebra botias in my 92 gallon. they get along just great, but depending on how stocked your 55 is, they might not be the fish for that tank, as they get around a max of 6"

Lonewolfblue also has yoyo and zebra loaches together.
They are both quite peaceful and should do just fine together.

Yes, they get along just fine. And they do interact quite well. The only ones that bother them on occasion is the skunk loaches. But that's because they like to chase just about anything and everything. :)

Back
Top Bottom