Loach for community tank with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what everyone thought was a good type of loach for a 55g community tank that has a good shrimp population in it. I've tried out a few different types but they always seem to love hunting my shrimp.

I was wondering what everyone thought was a good type of loach for a 55g community tank that has a good shrimp population in it. I've tried out a few different types but they always seem to love hunting my shrimp.

i can only share my personal experience and i am still not sure if they do not go after them, but i stocked angelicus botia loaches with my red cherry shrimp before realizing loaches could potentially go after shrimp. i see the loaches swim right by and over shrimp without bothering them. i always see baby shrimp and my shrimp population is growing so i am guessing maybe angelicus botia loaches are ok with shrimp.

i should point out that i have a lot of large driftwood with many hiding places and a big glob of moss the shrimp can also go to for refuge. make sure you have some plants and java moss or similar moss for them to hang out in before adding loaches. as for angelicus botia, they are awesome. sorta look like yo yo loaches, but there is a distinct difference. angelicus botia aka kubotai botia aka polka dot loach are listed as much more peaceful than yo yo's and only get up to six inches according to info i have found. they are social fish though and need a minimum of three to their group.

I was going to suggest Kuhli's also. But having a lot of good hiding places that only the shrimp can get into such as DW and a lot of plants and especially mosses will help a lot.

I was going to say kuhlis too. Another great loach that should be shrimp safe is the pygmy chain loach. Ambastia sidthumunki.

Kuhli, and dwarf chains would be great! What about cory cats? They are great with shrimp. I did have 3 yoyo loaches with shrimp for about...3 months with no incident, but I moved them to a different tank, and they nipped at my angel so back to the fish store they went!

I love my golden dojo loach. I havent had any problems with him going after shrimp either, and he is so much fun to watch!

Back
Top Bottom