Loach related questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CommunistTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I should start by saying, I'm new to this forum so hello!

Now, that's out of the way. I currently have 2 tanks, a 20 gal. Guppy tank. And a 55 gal. Community tank. In my 55 I currently have 2 shoals of tetras (lemon's and golden pristella's), I have one single angelfish, a few snails, and a dojo loach. The dojo loach itself, is very peaceful and seems to be non aggressive almost completely. I love the dojo loach, and have been doing ample research about loaches. I've found there best in groups of around 3 is this correct? If so, I also was wondering if I could instead of getting 3 dojo loaches, keep my 1 dojo, and get a SAE and maybe a Hillstream Loach. Since they also do best in groups of 3 to disperse aggression evenly etc. Would that work by chance? I'd really prefer to have the variety, and yes I understand most fish species do better with there own species, but I would just like to know if this is possible. As I have plants which I heard SAE's do nicely at cleaning algae off the leaves, and I've heard hillstreams do very nice for on glass algae. Which tends to erupt on only 1 side of my tank, as it's back is up against a window. Which I should mention the window is always closed and blinds shut etc. But the small amount of sunlight that seeps seems to cause the buildup, and instead of cleaning it an excessive amount, I'd rather put it to use. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Welcome aboard
The Hill Stream loach needs well oxygenated water and will not survive long in water temperature above 75 degree`s but is a great algae eater from what I have read on them.

Back
Top Bottom