loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingcrab

Aquarium Advice Regular
can someone tell me a little bit about them first hand ...i always passed them up, but it seems like alot of people on here have them,,,how big do they get,feeding habits,are they a community fish,do they clean up your tank??...etc...

can someone tell me a little bit about them first hand ...i always passed them up, but it seems like alot of people on here have them,,,how big do they get,feeding habits,are they a community fish,do they clean up your tank??...etc...
I (and others) would be happy to, but you need to tell us which loach species you are refering to. They pretty much all do fine in communities, but different species have different needs. Kuhlis only get 4 inches while clown loaches get to be a foot.:)

Hokey dokey. Clown loaches get to be big, like a foot long and also chunky, so they take up a lot of space and need a fairly large tank. They can be community fish and plenty of people keep them with smallish tetras without an issue. many people also keep them with cichlids.
Unfortunately, many people buy them without knowing much about them because they are great snail eaters. Most loaches love to eat snails. Clowns do best in groups of at least 5. They tend to "sleep" on their sides and they end up in funny positions and can trick new owners into thinking they are dead.
They do fine at regular tropical temps. They are somewhat sensitive to medications like corys are. They are good cleaners, but do not eat algae and still need to be fed and just left to eat other fish's leftovers.
They have a lot of pesonality and are very fun to watch. They do grow slowly, but once they reach full-size, they really look very different formthe tiny little guys you see in petstores. Still, they are a very fun and rewarding fish to keep. IMO.

Well said!! I would also like to add that the min. size aquarium for them is 75g (I think)

Well said!! I would also like to add that the min. size aquarium for them is 75g (I think)
Oops, I forgot that part! Thanks!
I have heard anywhere from 75g to 125g for a miniumum. Personally, I think 75 gallons would be ok with minimal tankmates, but 90g would give them more room to stretch their fins.:)

thats awsome they sound great. and yes i do have a 75g. thanks for the info on them.
No prob. If you do end up getting some, put up pics! Personally, I think they are chubby and gorgeous!
I should also add that they are a very hardy fish (apart form the medication issue like I mentioned before) and do well all along the tropical temperature gradient and accepted pH readings.:)

Back
Top Bottom