Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Loaches

I'm interested in Zebra Loaches and Skunk Loaches. Are they peaceful? Would they kill Amano Shrimp? Information about them is helpful
__________________

__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
You're going to love the loaches, they have been some of my favorite fish. The zebra is peaceful for sure and shouldn't pose any threat at all to amano shrimp. The skunk I've never kept but have read they can be less peaceful than the others but really shouldn't be a problem. Loaches like to have a cave or log or some dense plant area to retreat to and they will sometimes sleep on their sides so be prepared to freak out until you get used to seeing them like that haha. They're all very active and love to roam and dart from one end of the tank to the other so give them more space than the minimum requirements
__________________

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
You're going to love the loaches, they have been some of my favorite fish. The zebra is peaceful for sure and shouldn't pose any threat at all to amano shrimp. The skunk I've never kept but have read they can be less peaceful than the others but really shouldn't be a problem. Loaches like to have a cave or log or some dense plant area to retreat to and they will sometimes sleep on their sides so be prepared to freak out until you get used to seeing them like that haha. They're all very active and love to roam and dart from one end of the tank to the other so give them more space than the minimum requirements
Would a 30 gallon tank be okay? I already have a couple Cory Cats, but I'm only going to pick one of these loaches.
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedtankman View Post

Would a 30 gallon tank be okay? I already have a couple Cory Cats, but I'm only going to pick one of these loaches.
Personally, if you already have Cory cats or other bottom feeders I wouldn't add the loaches, and I really wouldn't suggest the skunks because they can be for needy for their own territories. If you didn't have any other bottom dwellers it might be okay for a group of zebras but since they are constantly foraging and very strong, active fish I wouldn't try them in a smaller tank. IMO they deserve a little more space. A 40 breeder would be the smallest I would put either of these in. Have you looked up the dwarf chain loach? They would probably be a much better fit for your tank.

Here's some info:
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/databank/skunk-loach-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/zebraloach.php
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...ia-sidthimunki
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
Kuhli loaches are a great option
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquamandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 466
Loaches can be so much fun.
__________________
Aquamandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

Personally, if you already have Cory cats or other bottom feeders I wouldn't add the loaches, and I really wouldn't suggest the skunks because they can be for needy for their own territories. If you didn't have any other bottom dwellers it might be okay for a group of zebras but since they are constantly foraging and very strong, active fish I wouldn't try them in a smaller tank. IMO they deserve a little more space. A 40 breeder would be the smallest I would put either of these in. Have you looked up the dwarf chain loach? They would probably be a much better fit for your tank.

Here's some info:
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/databank/skunk-loach-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/zebraloach.php
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...ia-sidthimunki
The Dwarf Chain Loach seems interesting. Good thing I didn't buy either of those loaches.
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Kuhli loaches are a great option
They seem cool! It is between the Dwarf Chain Loach and the Kuhli Loach now.
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
I'd go with kuhli loaches. They're cheap, common and fairly hardy
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
I'd go with kuhli loaches. They're cheap, common and fairly hardy
Okay. How many would you buy? I have 5 Cory Cats right now.
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedtankman View Post

Okay. How many would you buy? I have 5 Cory Cats right now.
Oh and 2 Panda Garra
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
+1 on the kuhli loaches!

I have 4 of them in my 29 gallon along with three peppered Cory cats
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
+1 on the kuhli loaches!

I have 4 of them in my 29 gallon along with three peppered Cory cats
That's cool... I have Peppered Cory Cats too.
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
I think either of those choices is a great alternative. I actually have kuhlis in my tank too that I forgot about. They are some of the absolute worst to catch in a tank though haha
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
I'd add 4-6 Kuhli loaches
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Okay! I'll probably get four of them. My bottom feeders would consist of the four loaches, 2 Panda Garra, 5 Cory Catfish, and 2-3 Amano Shrimp. Would that sound good?
__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Yea, 4 should be aright post some pics!
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
plantedtankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Yea, 4 should be aright post some pics!
I will! But it might be a couple weeks.
__________________

__________________
plantedtankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.