Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Loaches flashing

Today I saw my Angelicus and clown loach both slap the sand a couple time while looking for food and when I researched it a little I see its called flashing and is an indicator of ich. I'm just curious of what I should do, they don't do it often, I only saw them do it about 4 times or so and I have looked extremely hard to find any white spots and didn't see any at all. Should I go ahead and treat for ich or do I wait and see if they continue to do this? If I should treat what do you guys recommend I use with loaches or "scale-less" fish?

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would turn up the temp gradually and add in some aquarium salt. That helped mine.

Just be careful!!!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah turn the temp up to about 86 n leave it there for a couple weeks just to be safe. I like salt too
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read salt with loaches was a no no, but I'll raise the temp. Would raising the temp cause any problems with the rest of my stock? I have platys swordtails neon and cardinal tetras and a peacock eel. I was also thinking about going out and getting a bottle of kordons rid-ich, they have an all natural one that is safe with scaleless fish, the reviews say that it takes to long to cure(usually the case with most all-natural things) but I think that since I dont see ANY spots it might be a good product to use, What do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I say wait and see, adding salt and raising the heat for some unknown problem is silly. There all sorts of reasons for flashing from high nitrates, PH swings, water conditioners, and of course parasites. So before you start dumping stuff into the tank why no start with a large water change and monitor their behavior from there.

Scaleless fish are a great first indicator to poor water conditions, so what are the current water parameters?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As above test your water quality. Flashing is a symptom not a condition so until you can be sure of what you're treating don't make any radical changes.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

iif dosed correctly loaches shouldn't have any issues with salt, whether or not you want to add some salt and raise the temp is up to you neither is going to hurt anything
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do more water changes than most I think, probably 30-40% about every 4 days and my paeans are always 0-0-<20. And ph usually stays the stays the same but I didn't test it today. I guess I'll probably wait and see what happens, although that's against my nature, it just seems odd to me, I've never seen it before, no one else has had any problems, and the tank has been doing so well. I'll keep this thread updated, any other suggestions or ideas what it could be?
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
I do more water changes than most I think, probably 30-40% about every 4 days and my paeans are always 0-0-<20. And ph usually stays the stays the same but I didn't test it today. I guess I'll probably wait and see what happens, although that's against my nature, it just seems odd to me, I've never seen it before, no one else has had any problems, and the tank has been doing so well. I'll keep this thread updated, any other suggestions or ideas what it could be?
If it occurs after a water change it make just be the fish reacting to that. I know my cories would occasionally flash after a water change.

Tags
flashing, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com